Is an HDMI Cable all I Need?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by HappyDude20, Dec 7, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

My pops wants an ATV2 for Xmas and thought if the HDMI cable was all I needed for him to hook it up to his HDTV?

I've heard yays and nays about HDMI cables being able to transfer sound as well as video.

So am I correct to assume that all my dad would need is the cable that came w/ the ATV2 to charge the ATV2, and an HDMI cable to connect to the TV and that's it?

-

2. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Correct. Useful tip: do not buy HDMI cables (or any cables, in fact) from an electronics store. eBay, Amazon and Monoprice are your friends. ;)

3. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

What lewis said.

I've purchased dirt cheap HDMI cables from monoprice, and they work great. Do NOT let the big stores tell you that you need a $40+ cable for it to work properly. $3 at monoprice will suit you just fine.

4. Rolvag macrumors regular

Rolvag

Or better yet, just buy the Apple HDMI Cable when you pick up the ATV2.

I believe it's only $19

5. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Oh def. I'm never going to pay full price ever again..

Working at electronics store I purchased last week a VGA cable, regular price $24.99 with my employee discount and it came out to 77 cents! Plus tax. :D:D:D:D

6. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

there are several sources for cheap HDMI cables, anything over 10 bucks will only get paid if I need one right then....otherwise I will order one at 3-8 dollars depending on length.

I was at best buy the other day and saw a 400 dollar, yes 4 0 0 dollar, HDMI cable....and thought to myself, who would buy that....its a digital signal of 1's and 0's....not an analog signal that can be degraded by other things...

7. spice weasel macrumors 65816

This practice seriously pisses me off. Best Buy preys on consumers who don't know any better. Many of us geeks will say that it serves them right for not being more knowledgeable, but these are people like our parents and grandparents. They buy a printer and find out that it doesn't come with a USB cable (and why not, since just about every other USB device comes with a cheap cable these days), so they go to their local brick and mortar store and get raped for $40 for a $1 cable. Same with HDMI. Someone buys an expensive flat panel tv and the salesperson reminds him/her that they will need HDMI cables to connect their Blu-ray player, DVR, etc. "And over here we have a great selection of Monster cables, for unparalleled viewing quality." At $100 a pop or more. And people buy them because they think that's how much they cost.

Shame on Best Buy and all the other stores that do the same thing. I'm not saying they can't mark them up a bit, since they have to keep the lights on and pay their employees, but come on!

8. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

What TV set do your parents have. A HDMI cable will carry both sound and video, but (and i might be wrong my memory is not what it used to be) some older sets may not handle the audio from the HDMI cable that well.

9. dougoakes macrumors newbie

HDMI is a standard digital protocol with error correction. Anyone who has a change to broadband with an error rate acceptable. No degree of degradation that the signals from the analog line-level cables that are subject to RFI, inductance loops or corrosion.