Is an HVX200a still worth buying?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MindOverMattDam, Jun 22, 2010.

1. MindOverMattDam macrumors newbie

I'm looking at buying a video camera that can do HD 24p in the 3-4 thousand dollar range. I've always enjoyed working with the HVX200, and I'm thinking about buying an HVX200a online, it fits my budget and I know it's a good camera.

My question though, is that a good long term purchase? Will that camera still be relevant a few years from now? Are there new technologies or products on the horizon that are newer, and might be a better investment? Thanks for the help in advance!

2. ropbo macrumors newbie

Do you need this camera now ? What do you need the camera for ? Movies ? Documentaries ?

I don't think the HVX200a is a good investment anymore. I'd rent for now and wait till the end of the year for the AF100. I think it's a way better deal. Or get a cheap DSLR now, invest your money in lenses and upgrade it to the AF100.

I hope I've been helpful :)

3. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

AF-100 will be in the 6-7k range plus lenses. HVX is tried and true, great camera. Though unless you need the DV tape recording I'd get a HPX-170. I would also consider going used as it is a bit late in the game to get these cams new. They will however be used in the industry for years to come so no worries.