Is an I pod touch right for me?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pablosailor, Jan 7, 2011.

1. pablosailor macrumors newbie

I haven't purchased a personal media player yet but, I am seriously thinking about doing so. It seems like it would be perfect for me since I travel almost constantly. Being able to send emails via Wi-Fi, use Skype from my hotel rooms, and things like that would be fantastic. I would also be able to listen to music I enjoy, read books, and watch movies. I do not want a cell phone.

I like what I read about the iPod touch but, some fellow travellers have told me that an iPod touch might not be the right product for me. They say that, not having access to a regular computer (I typically use computers at internet cafes), it will probably be very difficult to work within the Apple system of doing things. They say that Apple wants it's iPod touch customers to have access to a regular computer. These people also say that i-tunes is not loaded on many computers in internet cafes and, even if it were, Apple might claim it is not my computer. They suggested I consider buying a different brand of personal media player which might be more comfortable with me sharing files from friends, downloading music from the internet, and things like that. Even if the iPod touch is the best personal media player, which it sounds like it is, if anyone has any suggestions, considering my travel lifestyle situation, about a different brand and model they would suggest might be more convenient for me, I would appreciate the advice.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That sounds like a pretty good option to me. You would just have to have them set it up for you at the apple store, and you would be good to go. You can download music, movies, tv shows, etc. from the iTunes store right on the iPod, as well as apps from the App store, so you really don't have to depend on a computer. It's also great for checking email, entertainment for travel, and now skype even will do video chat on it, so it sounds perfect for your situation.

3. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

It is the best player ever, it is a small computer.
    I Owned several iPod Touches, an iPhone and an iPad and they are great devices for people that travel a lot.
    My cousin got stuck recently in an Airport in Europe because of the Horrible snow that is going on there and he was able to Face Time call me from his iPod Touch to let me know that he won't make it to his destination on time.
    If I was going to get a Personal Media Device for traveling it was the iPad 2.
    I Just bought the iPad 1 Because I can't wait, but the Fact that it will be Lighter and it will have 1 or 2 Cameras makes it even better for that, I am personally fine with mine and I don't really need FaceTime, but that's just me

4. darkmess macrumors newbie

You don't have a computer at all? A computer with iTunes installed is required to go through with the initial set up of the iPod touch. After that, you would be able to travel.

Rarely does a computer cafe have computers with iTunes installed. Be aware of that, but as mentioned before you can download almost everything from iTunes: Apps, Books, Music, and Movies. They a good portion of them are not free.

Also know that the iPod touch does not have the best battery life. It's acceptable, but don't be expecting to be doing too much stuff unplugged. Be sure to look for a Wall-to-USB charger so as to be constantly charged, or else you'll be stuck in a boring plane ride to wherever.

Hopefully you can use these considerations to decide on whether you want to buy the iPod touch.

5. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The Touch is mostly as your friends have warned you. One very serious alternative might be the Archos 43. iTunes is NOT required with it. A larger screen than the Touch. Plays far more video formats than the Touch does. With a little work the Google apps and Android Market can be added to it. You can pair a keyboard and mouse to it if you want. It even has a built-in kickstand to prop itself up on.

A good support forum for it.
    My Showdown between it and the Touch.

4D

6. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

In every other case i'd say go for the ipod but in this case i say set a different model. The itouch really needs itunes (wich is installed on you pc/mac). I would say you get yourself a cheap netbook or tablet.

7. moonman239 macrumors 68000

He said MOST of everything he does on a computer he does at the internet cafe. To the OP: +1 for the iPod.

8. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

He probably has a computer.

And iTunes is installed on the iPod, ok? He's good.

But you can only use the mail/app store/internet if you are at a place with free wifi or if you know the password to a certain place's wifi.

9. dtblaze macrumors regular

10. Shaneuk macrumors regular

Shaneuk

You probably should read the first post.

11. diogojg20 macrumors newbie

diogojg20

That´s a really good option I bought the 2G and I also travel sometimes it´s fantastic.. and the 4G with all the new features is just amazing there is only 1 thing that I think itsbad since you travel a lot.. you won´t charge it in the plane (Now some planes have adapters) and I know apple claims 40 hours music and 7 hours video but from personal experience.. you will only get 5/6:30 hours max on the Ipod touch and music about 24 hours apple doesn´t say how much time you can get with Wifi is 3 hours.. And remember that the battery can´t be replaced on an Ipod touch.. at least it´s what apple claims.

Cheers...
    Diogojg20