Is an i7 worth it or should an i5 suffice??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Skeeter35, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Skeeter35 macrumors newbie

I am an avid mac user for the last 8 years and it's time to retire my powerbook G4. Just some ideas from anyone, is an i7 processor going to be worth the extra money or should i stick with an i5 on a new macbook pro i don't really use processor intensive programs so just seeing what anyone on here thinks. Also what do you think the price difference might be between the two processors? Thanks for any help

2. Zortrium macrumors 6502

I'd say both; an i7 is "worth it", but an i5 would certainly suffice if you're not running lots of processor intensive stuff. If money is tight, take the i5 and don't worry about it.

3. Skeeter35 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks, if the i7 is priced right i will definitely grab one if not so be it thanks for your help

4. mac&cheesey macrumors 6502

Personally, if you can swing it I think the i7 would be the better choice for you for one simple reason... You said you were just retiring your 8 year old PowerBook G4. You seem to be someone who stretches as much life as possible out of his/her computers. I'd say the i7 will serve you better over such a long time.

m&c

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

wait, we know theres gonna be an i5 and i7 mbp now?

7. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

I guess some people like to think about buying something that doesn't even exist (yet). :p