Is an iMac good for audio production?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by blackhawk08, Apr 1, 2009.

1. blackhawk08 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone i was just wondering if the iMac would make a good computer to edit and mix sound? I know a lot of people buy mac pros for heavy editing, heavy image manipulation, and 3d rendering, but i think that a mac pro may be overkill for me, it also costs a lot. And for anyone who has a new 24in iMac how is it? and what do you use it for? I may be asking a lot more questions in time because i am new to the mac world.

2. pianojoe macrumors 6502

pianojoe

Yes, it is. People who do audio on a Mac Pro are usually into sequencing and HD recording, using (a lot of) software synths and FX plug-ins. These can bring down even the fastest computer in the world, if used excessively.

If you're just editing and mixing audio, even last year's Mac will do.

3. IrishBritish macrumors member

IrishBritish

I have seen the Imac's used in school for audio production ,writing tracks and so fourth.Our graphic design classes uses Imac's also.
    I want to say logic 8 i think...
    Maybe others will be able to supply more info.

4. Blcfc macrumors newbie

yeh they are great for it, just if you get one make sure u get warranty and if u get logic put it on a usb memory stick to save space, also reason runs great on them

5. Lucius14 macrumors newbie

At least every Mac can be used fpr Audioproduction.
    I´m a Pro and I started in 2000 with a G4 350 Mhz and this old Baby ist still runnin in the Studio (now with Protools-Extention-Cards), but even before I did a lot of good Music on a High Level on that Granny-Mac....you only have to deal with the ressources .

Here at Home I done my Stuff for the last 2 Years on a Powerbook G4 1,33 Ghz and I pushed that one allways straight to the Limit ( coz nowadays the Plugs and Softsynths are no longer that ressourcefriendly as in the Beginning..)

So 2 Weeks ago I got myself a IMac (white) 17" with Intel Core Duo 1,83 Ghz and this is a performance Blast for me....before I need to use the Freeze-Function or I bounced complete Tracks coz of the Performance Limit, now I don´t...

But in the End, the Mac & the Performance of it only define the Way you Work, not the Quality of the Outcome....