Is an iMAC refresh coming soon!?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dorfdad, Sep 23, 2011.

  1. Dorfdad macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2007
    #1
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a new iMAC mine from 2007 is starting to give me some issues. However I was talking with a developer recently and he mentioned there were calls or coding that referenced a refresh for the iMAC in 2011.

    Now I don't want to get burned after paying 3K for a system so does anyone here have any credible information or speculation on this?? I know apple keeps quiet, but should I wait!??
     
  2. iSee macrumors 68040

    iSee

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2004
  3. reputationZed macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2011
    Location:
    34°55′42″N 80°44′41″W (34.
    #3
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

    There were some references to a "mid-2011" model iMac, and some discussion on whether this refered to the 'education only' model or something new in the wind, a week back but nothing definitive came of it.

    http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/09/a-late-2011-imac-update-may-be-imminent.ars?old=mobile

    My bad, meant 'late2011' iMac.
     
  4. jca24 macrumors 6502a

    jca24

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2010
    Location:
    DFW
  5. Logos327 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    #5
    The earliest we will see an iMac refresh will be February or March. Very unlikely that anything new will be available before Ivy Bridge. That being said, I would try and hold out. It is also like that new iMacs will have USB 3.0, and if you keep your computer for another 4+ years that could be important.
     
  6. BulletToothTony macrumors 6502

    BulletToothTony

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2009
    #6
    there is a rumor that we may see another iMac

    http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/09/late-2011-imac-refresh-imminent/

    i personally think that we will see another upgrade with dual thunderbolt and a slightly better video card.

    I would wait (personally i CANT wait when it comes to a new iMac) til mid november, if it doesn't happen by then it won't happen til april or may.

    Even if you're not interested in thunderbolt it will drive the price of the top of the lind current imac lower.
     
  7. BurningJah macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    Location:
    Belgium
    #7
    it already has a dual thunderbolt? 27" that is
    [​IMG]
     
  8. kirkster501 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2011
    Location:
    Nottingham, UK
    #8
    I have the money in the bank ready to pull the trigger on a 3.4 27". But USB3 is a big one for me (ridiculous it doesn't have this on current gen IMO) when it comes to connecting external kit without the mega bucks being asked for Thunderbolt kit. So I am awaiting the refresh. I am also hoping for a graphics card refresh and CPU update (and possibly SSD as standard ;-) )

    If that's in April then fine by me, the money ain't going anywhere (banking crisis apart... :cool:) and my three year old PC and Macbook 13 will see me through until then....

    KS
     
  9. alienatf macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2010
    Location:
    Russia, Moscow
    #9
    that's 21"(1 thunder) and 27"(2 thunder ports) imac
     
  10. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2011
    Location:
    Bangkok
    #10
    Usb 3

    I also have money in the bank and am ready to buy a new iMac, completely loaded to the 9s. The thing about USB 3 is that it won't be properly supported until Ivy Bridge and so that is when you most likely will see it in a Mac, if Apple bends a knee and allows it in. It goes counter to pushing TB on some levels, not all, but I think Apple should do it as I don't think the two complete directly, and more complement each other. I would actually like to see more USB ports on the iMac, my 09 Mac Mini has 6.

     
  11. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2011
    Location:
    Bangkok
    #11
    I want an new iMac as well

    I would buy it today...but I have a few sticking points.

    1. Sata III. The current iMac ship with Sata III controllers but have installed SATA II drives. To make matters worse, the SSD that it ships with is a dog of a Toshiba that was the same that shipped with the 2010 model. There are rumors that SATA III and Sandy Bridge do not play well together (altho I hear that is being corrected on Sandy Bridge) and maybe Apple choose to ship these slower drives knowing that it would create less of a support headache for them. At the same time however, I am not going to buy last years SATA technology when SATA III is at our door step. Some would say, just go to OWC and have them install the latest if that is important... it's a consideration, but I live in Asia and so I would have to install them myself. I have installed drives and memory in Mac Pros, mini, MBPs, etc... but opening a brand new iMac doesn't look fun and I'm not ready to go that route unless I have to...and that might be fun! I'm looking for a SATA III drives in my iMac working properly with either Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge.

    2. Cores. I would like to see a 6 core processor...but I would be happy with a 4 core i7

    3. Form Factor. I love the form factor, but the drives should be more accessible for replacement for whatever reason and Apple should use standard cables.

    4. SSD (digress from issue 1). The current iMac ships with a dog of a SSD, the Toshiba...same as the 2010 iMac as a stated above. While I would go with the Samsung drive that is in my MBA (umm, wrong form factor I know), I would prefer Apple to get with it and start to provide SSDs that actually perform. Apple is supposed to be the best of the best ... yet the SSDs are the worst of the worst with the highest possible price. The latest SATA III SSDs are 500+ r/w - rock on OWC. Yet, Apple is shipping 200 r/w Samsungs or Toshibas that are dog slow. It's kinda insulting but to most people who buy... they will never know...but shame on Apple. Obviously, the TRIM issue is out there... and sand force based SSDs don't need TRIM support in the OS. So we probably won't see a sand force based SSD in a Mac, but man...it would be beautiful if that was a BTO option. Till then, APple is backing away from it's relationships with Samsung, so who knows what kind of POS SSD is on the horizon. If Apple slacks...ill just buy from OWC and install drives myself...

    Thats about it... so we are in day 145... average is 240 days for the last 4 refreshes or so... so within 3 to 4 months we should see a refresh (yes, this might just be a Sandy Bridge speed bump update as Intel just released new SB chips and the IB has been delayed). This line is a big money maker for Apple so they are refreshing often. So January or February at the latest. Maybe Ivy Bridge in October 2012. The other scenario is that IB is released in Q1 12 and Apple postpones and we don't see new iMacs till April 2012. Either way, within 6 months we will have new iMacs to choose from.

    To stay calm, I went ahead and bought a Mac Mini i7 today, ordered 8GB of ram from OWC and I will use that as my desktop computer until the iMac is released. So maybe if you are on the fence, you can do the same. The Mac Mini won't be refresh for a while, so you could always sell it on ebay for 80% of what you paid for it (loose 200 bucks) or turn it into a server or re-purpose in a million ways :D

    I'm looking forward to my iMac, but i'm digging in and waiting....the current iMac is a blazing tweener...
     
  12. heliocentric Guest

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2008
    #12
    I7 stock upgrade or server?

    :)

     
  13. Dorfdad thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2007
    #13
    did you get the server or the i7 dual core?? Im thinking of getting this as well for a year use than give to the kids.. The intel card should be good enough for most games in the appstore as well currently and for the next year.

    Plus I play OnLive almost exclusively now for my gaming and it needs no video card! Check out my site for news about OnLive.

    http://www.OnLiveInformer.com
     
  14. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2011
    Location:
    Bangkok
    #14
    AMD Radeon HD 6630M graphics

    I upgraded the 2.5 desktop model so I can get the AMD Radeon HD 6630M graphics. The server is nice with quad core, but 90% of the things I do use only 1 core, and the server runs at 2.0Ghz, and the i7 upgrade is 2.7 i7 with hyper threading giving you 4 cores and it's gonna fly with the memory upgrade. The server also doesn't have the AMD Radeon HD 6630M graphics, which is perfect for a server. If I really like the inbound Mini (and I will post my findings), I'm going to put a SSD into it and thats it. I'm on my Mac Book Air right now 13 inch i7 and it's super fast...no beach balls. All the speed tests mean nothing if you are a regular user. If you are a professional making films, music, etc... then you know what you need. But if you are just a business user like myself...then 12 cores is totally a waste. 2 to 4 cores is plenty, 8GB of ram, etc. Look... I want the iMac, but since it's an all in one that I can't mod... i'm going to wait till it's just right. I think Apple should release a beefed up Mini... taler format with drive bays, quad core, 16GB of ram. They would put the hackintosh community out...the only ones who would stay are those who play around for the love of it.

    ----------

    I upgraded the 2.5 desktop with AMD Radeon HD 6630M graphics - see rant above

     

Share This Page