Is an iMac the right choice for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jojoskinner124, Mar 2, 2009.

1. jojoskinner124 macrumors newbie

I am third year college student and I edit videos and photos. I currently have a PowerBook G4 with a 1.67ghz 1.5GB of RAM and a 60GB HD. Oh, and the CD drive doesn't work anymore. I want to have something more powerful, but also get something for the money. The PowerBook still runs smoothly minus the CD drive so I don't need another laptop. Since I will be graduating next year, I figured having a desktop would be better since that is what most homes typically have, which leads me to the iMac. I want to have whatever computer I buy for awhile. I am thinking of buying the top of the line iMac with upgraded specs. Is it worth it? What do people think of their iMacs?

I also know about the rumor of new iMacs tomorrow so that will also depend on what model I get. Please let me know your thoughts.

2. 321estrellas macrumors 6502

321estrellas

Most, perhaps all, serious video and photo editors don't like to work on a glossy monitor. Not only will there be glare but the colours will be inaccurate too.

The iMac also lacks expandability...once you get the machine, you'll pretty much only be able to upgrade the RAM, which you shouldn't do through Apple of course.

But if video/photo editing is just a hobby, then the iMac is a great machine. It's fast, looks great, space-efficient, and even runs games decently (not sure about recent graphically-demanding games though).

In addition, I would get a firewire external hard drive and AppleCare as well.