Is an invisible 0.5mm scratch enough?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ventuss, Oct 25, 2013.

1. ventuss, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

ventuss macrumors 6502

Would you retirn the perfect iMac because of a 5mm scratch on the middle left side of the stand? Imperceptible to the naked eyes, but still there. I just found it because I used a flashlight all over the iMac looking for imperfections.

I ask because I have serious OCD and I like to have some feedback from normal folks.

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/6873/ubl1.jpg

2. laserbeam273 macrumors 6502

No I wouldn't return a product for that (even a 5 mm probably wouldn't push me to return it) - best to work through your OCD I reckon, that's a seriously tiny mark.

These days I use my macs like machines - if they get some marks, so be it. A lot more relaxing to not get fussed about them.

3. Tjosansa macrumors regular

Tjosansa

4. ventuss thread starter macrumors 6502

Oops... 5mm or 0.5cm

The screen is perfect, uniform temperature, zero backlight bleeding, and the OCD inspection couldn't find anything other tham 5mm scratch.. My obsession got so strong I had to double my meds.

5. WilliamG macrumors G3

Nothing is perfect when you shine a flashlight on it. Thank goodness you didn't examine the screen under a flashlight. You might see suction cup marks, dust, smudges etc. it's kind of insane, the manufacturing and assembly process!

Keep the iMac. And take a deep breath.

6. fhopper macrumors member

fhopper

I too am a picky bastard and I learned years ago to let it go on things. In fact I had an epiphany when I put a 2 foot scratch down the side of my new sailboat while docking... nothing will ever stay perfect and the sooner it takes a hit the better so you can move on. Take something to make the scratch bigger so you can see it and smile every time you notice it because you did it and will no longer live in fear of it getting hurt. Returning it will simply punish yourself.

7. ventuss thread starter macrumors 6502

Here is a picture of the scratch

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/6873/ubl1.jpg

----------

You are right, maybe I should accept it. My iMac came so perfect that when I found an imperfection my mind started to panic. Even my doctor said something similar.. it's just that I know I'm being too picky, but my mind keeps ticking.

8. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I would keep it. You would be taking a chance of just getting something worse. Quit looking so hard for insignificant issues and get on with life. Not meant sarcastically.

9. ventuss thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes. I got a great screen, and that may be a plus.

10. richard13 macrumors 6502a

My threshold is if I can't see it with my naked eyes it's not a problem. If I need to get out a magnifying glass, lights, or other aids then it's not worth worrying about. Especially if it's not right in front of you but on the side. So IMHO, if you are happy otherwise I'd say just ignore it. You'll forget it exists in a short while.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Keep it.

My wife has OCD ... and I've kept her for 20+ years.

Nothing's perfect.

12. omeletpants macrumors regular

13. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I would keep it, but I'm not you. Only you can decide if the stress it causes you is something you can handle or not. I think the advice you're getting here, while well-intentioned, is not taking into account you as an individual. Most of us would never think of doing the sort of inspection you did.

I do have a question though, that may help you decide what to do - how will you react if it gets a similar scratch in a month through normal wear and tear?

14. ravinder08 macrumors regular

Return it, you've paid a lot of money for the money for the machine and it should be perfect and scratch free. If you cause a scratch yourself later on it's easier to live with but a new machine shouldn't have any scratches no matter how small. I would return it asap then you won't have to dwell on it again and have regrets later on.

15. AlexJaye macrumors regular

This is the most ridiculous ... this must be a joke. Oh lawd.

16. insimbi macrumors 6502

insimbi

rofl! :)

17. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Would drive me nuts...I would have taken it back asap.

18. ventuss thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sorry for being extreme.. I really do. This things can drive me crazy and I avoid asking to any family members as everything I say soud like OCD to them.

19. ChesneyHawkes macrumors newbie

Got a new MacBook Air the other day from the online store. Whilst unpacking I found a very minor chip along the edge of the aluminium base where the system vents heat from.

Went with my gut to call and get a replacement and they said it would take a week as it was a CTO. They said they would pickup within 48hrs. The next day having played with it and installing bits and pieces I decided that it was not really visible and unlikely it would affect resale later on. So I called them and said if just take the hit and accept it.

What did Apple say? They apologised for the inconvenience, and gave me $60 back as a gesture, even saying that although it was cosmetic if anything inside was impacted I could still claim on the warranty. The condition it came in would be noted on their records and that taking the $60 would not affect another claim.

So I would let them know anyway and see what your loyalty is worth to them.