Is an iPad right for me?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Texas_Toast, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Texas_Toast macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

I want to get another computer/device purely for surfing the Internet and email.

Would an iPad be a good choice?

I saw a tablet (???) in Target a month ago that looked like a tiny laptop that caught my attention - it was only maybe $200.

Could I get an iPad and hook up a mini keyboard and accomplish the same thing?

I don't do all that touching, hand-gestures stuff!

2. chscag macrumors 68000

I have an older iPad 3 and a small blue tooth keyboard that I use with it. It's not the fastest device but it does well to check email and get on the net. I imagine with a newer iPad and one of the many keyboards that are sold especially the one from Apple, that it would be fine for your needs. Check the on line Apple Store for choices and prices.

3. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

How about this combination...

Refurbished iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi 16GB
    http://www.apple.com/shop/product/FE276LL/A/refurbished-ipad-mini-2-wi-fi-16gb-space-gray

ClamCase Pro for iPad mini
    http://www.clamcase.com/ipad-mini-k...&utm_term=50&gclid=CPeak86x2M0CFc9ffgodxY8HCg

4. chscag macrumors 68000

Both look good, but are you sure a 16 GB iPad is going to suffice? My iPad 3 is 32 GB and I have to watch the space closely. In reality, a 16 GB iOS device has only around 12.5 GB of real storage to use after the space taken up by iOS.

5. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

6. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

Agreed.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 3, 2016 ---
    I didn't realize there was a "mini" - it looks pretty tiny. Maybe a regular sized iPad would be better? I want the equivalent of a small laptop so I have something lightweight to take with me if I just need to surf the Internet or check email.

Of course I am also looking to save money, otherwise I'd my a MacBook Pro!

7. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Well 9.7 is closer to a laptop and previous models are fairly affordable. iPad Air would be sufficient. iPad Air 2 is a fairly large spec jump but would be about $60 more if you go the Apple refurb route. A used iPad Air 16GB is close to $200 just so you kind of know the market prices.

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad/ipad_air/wi_fi

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

When my full-sized iPad went down for the count, I replaced it with an iPad mini and I haven't looked back. I use it mainly for internet browsing, Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, email, and watching videos on YouTube or Netflix. No problems or issues with size.

9. Volusia macrumors regular

Volusia

I have an iPad Air and use a Zagg BT keyboard case with it. For me, it is perfect for doing emails, checking the net, Facebook, some minor gaming, etc. It is small enough that I can carry it in a messager bag and keeps me occupied when waiting in doctor's offices, sitting in airports, etc. It is smaller and easier to carry around then my MBP.
    I use every morning to read emails, News and some key sites while having coffee...