Is an iPad worth getting?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ThugZilla, Apr 22, 2010.

1. ThugZilla macrumors regular

I'm thinking about getting an iPad. Currently I have an iPhone 3G, a Mac Mini, and a gaming laptop. I'm in love with iWork on my Mac, and was thinking of getting a 13 inch MBP to have iWork on the go, but now I'm thinking of getting an iPad. Is an iPad worth it if I already have an iPhone and a Mac? And how are the iWork apps on the iPad - specifically Keynote and Pages?

2. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I use word a lot on the iPad. I just typed an 8 page paper on it the other day. It is comfortable flat on a table or desk. I like typing on it better with the apple case though. Would you be satisfied with a MacBook? Probably. It is a tough call, because the only true plus over laptops is portability and the iphone os. Surfing the web is decent i suppose.

I returned 1 of our ipads to get a 3G. I used it for 2 weeks and got a full refund. I have had time to sleep on it for about a week now. I am still getting the 3g when it comes out. I would say that it is worth it.

I own a desktop, net book, and iphone btw.

3. h3nG macrumors member

Only if you have the money...

Reviews on iworks, keynote, and pages doesn't look all too impressive so i have not spent the money for it yet. I think I'll keep productivity apps on my laptop.

4. JReynolds macrumors 6502

I'd say it depends on your job and to what depth you'll be using iWork. I just bought mine today (YAY) and am in love already. I can see countless hours on this thing in my future.

I'd say if you can afford it, get it! You won't regret it.

Sent from my iPad :apple:

5. jaeguyoon macrumors regular

I never expected myself to use the ipad as much as I do now. I honestly bought it for just entertainment purposes. But I now take it everywhere I go for email, internet surfing, documents, watching modern family on abc app, I'm currently watching weeds on it trhough the netflix app and it's right next to my macbook while I do surfing and hw on the macbook.

6. scotty56 macrumors regular

7. otis123 macrumors 6502a

YES! I was skeptical at first too, but this thing is just a joy to use! I have hardly opened my MacBook pro this last week, I've only used pages, but I love it, while it's not as good as typing on a laptop, it's shockingly close. It has basically replaced my netbook and I can't stop using it.

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

A thousand times yes!!!

And yes to the ipad dock as well!

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Probably not, considering your usage habits. Ars was not kind to iWork on the iPad.

10. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Absolutely. I totally adore my iPad and have pretty much used it exclusively since April 3rd.........

11. oeat001 macrumors newbie

Don't do it, Steve.

I wouldn't buy one yet. Not a first release, wait till the hardware specs are updated. No one will actually need one, so why not be patient and get one that's a bit better than it is now.

12. otis123 macrumors 6502a

I don't mean to be a jerk, but what is with the stigma about 1st gen apple devices? Yes hardware can always improve, but I don't think they could add any hardware features that would get me to buy a new one, a camera is not a selling point for me, and I don't think it is for a lot of people.

13. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Or rock out like a true rebel and get both :) first gen and second.
    I'm sure a lot of people will.

14. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Since you have a gaming laptop, and a Mac Mini for when you are going to be bound to a desk for a while -- the iPad is a better compliment for your situation.

I use mine a lot. Pages takes a bit of getting used to on the iPad, but Apple did a wonderful job converting it to a touch interface. I bought a bluetooth keyboard assuming it would be difficult to type on the iPad, but in actual use, I type right on the glass 99% of the time.

I also use Numbers on my iPad frequently. To transfer files I'm working on, I use the free beta of www.iwork.com. You can store 1 gigabyte of documents up there, and grab them from your iPad or desktop as needed.

Only reason to consider getting a Macbook Pro 13" would be if you're going to replace your gaming laptop (via bootcamp) or Mac Mini. Otherwise, you'll have a much richer digital life with the iPad. It's a great around-the-house, out in the yard, on-the-train/plane device.

15. jsbaugh macrumors 6502

Yes get one. Everyday I use it I'm more impressed with it.

16. ChocolateApple macrumors 6502

ChocolateApple

I agree. I bought the 1st gen iPhone, and caught a lot of 1st adapter flack for it. But even THAT was superior IMO to other cell phones for my needs and desires. NOW almost every cell is following the iPhone's lead.

No matter how many versions are released, people are going to complain about something it lacks that they want. Then they'll buy a copycat device that boasts some of the Apple device's 'missing' features, but is an inferior overall product.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

18. ChocolateApple macrumors 6502

ChocolateApple

I have bought every single iPhone per release. The key is to keep it in great condition and sell fast when the new one comes out.

I was able to get a fantastic price on my 3G 16GB to trade up to the 3GS 32GB. Rapid Repair was paying based on condition.

19. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

It feels like a bit of a luxury more than a necessity when already with multiple apple devices, but it is totally worth it. ;)

20. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

You should always buy first generation. Do it. Do it.

21. FeelingGood macrumors member

FeelingGood

I completely disagree. By this logic then why don't you wait for the 3rd gen which will be even better still, and on, and on, and on... Nonsense. I say go for what you can afford now, and enjoy the hell out of it, and I promise you you _will_ over and over again! Then next year, if the next gen really has specs you can't resist, sell this one on ebay for about 60-70% of what you paid for than what you paid for, and treat yourself to the latest and fastest for a couple of hundreds. Voila! uninterrupted iPad bliss for less than 75 cents a day!

This has been my strategy will all my mac equipment for the last 15 years and I have never regretted it once!

Carpe Diem! :apple:

22. scotty56 macrumors regular

23. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

I've only used Pages so far on the iPad. Pages is a perfect example of an app that seems like it was made for multi touch; it has really worked well for my relatively light needs.

I've only used my MBP once these past two weeks, sticking with my 24" iMac, iPad, and iPhone. I was debating whether or not to wait for the refreshed 13" MBP, but I just plain had to have that iPad. For my uses, the iPad SO FAR has pretty much replaced the MBP, since I prefer to do the heavier work on the larger screen iMac anyway.

And yes, it is completely worth getting. This thing is phenomenal.