Is an iPhone 3G capable of doing FaceTime through any package or anything?

RedPwnerRanger

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
I've checked into the package "My3G" and "3G Unrestrictor", but I still don't think I understand. I realize it says that FaceTime is capable over the 3G network, but can these packages (or anything else) make FaceTime capable on an iPhone 3G?

impulse462

macrumors 68000
Jun 3, 2009
facetime requires a front-facing camera...

does your iphone 3G have a front-facing camera?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
In principle, the iPhone 3G would be capable of one-way videoconferencing (i.e., either you could broadcast your image but not be able to see anyone else, with the phone facing away from you, or you could let them broadcast to you and see but not show back).

However AFAIK you can't do this with Facetime. You might be able to find an app somewhere that runs via Jailbreak that does it, but it probably wouldn't be intercompatible with 4G F/T users.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I've checked into the package "My3G" and "3G Unrestrictor", but I still don't think I understand. I realize it says that FaceTime is capable over the 3G network, but can these packages (or anything else) make FaceTime capable on an iPhone 3G?
No.

ChiliBlue

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2008
Houston, TX
I think the closest you would be able to get is using the app Fring and a mirror. However, Fring is barely acceptable on an iPhone 4. I think on a 3G it would be almost impossible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.