Is an iphone 4 with ios 5 on it a "jailbroken phone?"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lionqueen, Aug 19, 2011.

1. lionqueen macrumors 6502

My bottom port on my iphone 4 stopped working last night. I'm 2 mos out of warranty but i've heard of ppl being helped out by nice geniuses even when theyre out of warranty, so i thouht i'd give it a try. Problem is, since No cable plugged into the bottom will work, i couldnt downgrade and put ios 4.3 (or whatever it is now) back on the phone, i had to go in with ios 5 on there.

I had a plan though... I hoped if the tech noticed, and sai 'i see you have ios 5 on there", i could just laugh a little and say "well yeah, the bottom port wont work so i couldnt downgrade back to 4.3", and sort of smile impishly, and hope he'd just laugh, and choose to help me out. If not, no biggie.

I got a girl though. A very by the book, to the point of sounding like a robot, girl. She said i see you have the latest operating system, that means your phone is jailbroken". I said no no, its not jailbroken, i just have the os on there, to which she replied, 'YES, which means you're jailbroken'. At that point i just gave up. Anyway, the pins in the port were bent, she offered me a 200 dollar replacement, i declined. Why is it i always have much better luck with male geniuses?

Anyway, my question is, is a phone with the new ios on it ( before that ios is releases) considered 'jailbroken'?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

It's for developers, why didn't you just tell her that?

4. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

Go back and just tell them you're a developer. It's not jailbroken, it's a developer build.

5. FrankieG889D macrumors member

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Oh my dear god. How does an Apple employee not know about devs? iOS is only jailbroken if you jailbreak it.

7. codyc1515 macrumors member

No, its not jailbroken. Although, it could be theoretically.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

This Is NOT

Jailbreaking, it's BETA testing of Apples own product. How can the " Genius" state that installing Apples own software is jail breaking.....kick it upstairs she was no genius that's for sure

9. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

my girlfriend went in with a broken screen 2 months out of warranty with iOS 5 on it. she said "my boyfriends a developer" the genius replaced the phone no questions asked.

10. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

while it is certainly not jailbroken, Apple can *technically* deny replacement on a phone that has beta software on it

its essentially an "it may seem like hardware, but the software isn't final yet so it could be an unknown glitch."

I've been told by geniuses before that they should technically make me wait for the GM release to see if it fixes the issue before them replacing it for a hardware malfunction, but for the most part they say that they are pretty flexible with it, and that they will replace it.

I'd definitely go get another genius...the one you spoke to clearly didn't know what she was talking about

11. lionqueen thread starter macrumors 6502

MrCheeto-heh, i did want to argue, but i didnt think it was worth it, she just kept saying 'so that means it's jailbroken'. I don't know how the hell she got hired, she was clueless.

Verwon- i thought about saying i wss a dev, but i thought they might ask me for some kind of dev account number to verify or something :/

Thanks for the input guys, i'm going to try again in a few days. I did have it insured, and i'm looking for the paperwork, but i'm pretty sure it's expired, as i only got insurance for one year, assuming i'd have an iphone 5 by the time my insurance ran out :/

I should probly leave it at that, but i have to say i don't understand the point of giving devs 100 udid slots if their policy is going to be 'no help if youre running beta software'. You cant tell me the folks at Apple really think all devs have 100 iphones laying around to test **** out on. Of COURSE theyre going to give the slots out to friends, family, and sometimes strangers on the net who'd like them. We're in essence mass testing the software for them. And yet we're punished if we dare step in the Apple store with the software on our phones? Smh.

12. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

So are you one of the people that aren't a dev but paid to get the beta?

13. EddyP macrumors 6502

Apple probably considers any unauthorized modification of the OS to be "jailbroken". A non-dev with iOS5 would fall under that category. When he didn't know enough to pushback hard and say "I'm a developer" she knew she had someone doing something they don't like.

OP: If they don't fix your phone, you can always pay the $99 to become a legit developer and then you don't have to hide anything and they won't have a reason to dismiss you so easily.

14. racedude macrumors member

That's incorrect, the term jailbreaking is defined by removing the restriction on the user account that the OS is using and allowing you root access to the operating system. It has nothing to do with having a version that either is a beta or isn't used that puts iOS 5 under a "jailbreak"... Please go read up on what it is before you post **** like that. I seriously doubt the "genius" was trying to play games with the customer to see if he would "pushback" and say he was a developer, it's more the case of the "genius" had no idea what iOS 5 even was. Even if he's a developer or not legitamately, technically the only way they can tell that he has access to the beta is if he has his UDID (Unique Device Identification) registered with Apple, which I assume he does since he's running it. So it wouldn't make a difference if he paid or not. There is no developer number other than an Apple ID, which doesn't necessarily have to be tied to the developer account (could have two separate Apple IDs, one for Developer and one for personal use, etc...). So if he paid 99$ (if he didn't already), he would get the same result that he just got. Only fix for that would be to ask for the supervisor and make sure he knows that the "genius" is an idiot.

15. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

If its jailbroken, then why would Apple give it to developers? :mad: Go in that Apple store and bring a can-o-whoop ass :D

16. joneildu macrumors member

What happens when you click "reset to factory default" setting on a jailbroken IOS5 device? Can you not do that, as then, you would be able to strip the jailbreak without a cable.

17. EddyP, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

EddyP macrumors 6502

Calm down. I know there's a difference. I'm saying Apple probably doesn't give a crap about the difference. That's why I put the word jailbroken in quotes. Go in there running a beta as a non dev or being JB and looking for out of warranty help? They're probably not as interested in helping. Any real dev would have said "I'm a developer" as soon as the genius said something about. Or at least say "I test apps for a developer". Once the OP hesitated, it was all over. No way they were going to help him out out of warranty.

I should have been more clear about being a "real" developer. I should have said he may have a better chance of getting a free out of warranty repair. Once they think you're up to "no good" it becomes too easy for them to not want to help you.

Idiot or not, the genius probably aren't going to be as helpful to somebody doing something with their device they don't like. I'm sure there are ones that don't care. But if you get one following the letter of the Apple law, they're probably not going to help.

Sure. There are a thousand scenarios where his apple ID may not tie to any dev account. Even if he's a legit dev. But he didn't give himself that chance. He's too stuck on pissing and moaning about JB not being the same as beta. The genius dragged him down to her level and beat him into submission.

18. lionqueen thread starter macrumors 6502

Crisis averted - my fiance, who owns an auto repair shop and is handy at fixing things, fixed it for me :) he used a couple little metal hook tools and pulled the pins straight, and it works fine now.

A couple things: for those calling me he, I'm a she. Do I really sound that much like a guy? Lol. I would've thought the name lionQUEEN would be a tipoff :p

I didn't say i was a dev cos i thought they might ask me to prove it. I didn't pay to get my udid registered, a dev did it for me in exchange for bug reports, ect.

Lastly to EddyP, I'm loathe to even bother addressing you, but like i said, i didn't say i was a dev because i thought maybe there was some dev account number theyd ask for, which I obviously don't have. No one was beaten into submission- I know how to stand up for myself, but at the time to continue arguing would've been counterproductive. I could already tell she wasnt going to help me, ehat's the point of going on and on trying to "prove" to her that beta software isn't a jailbreak? Also, 'pissing and moaning'? Because I asked if having beta software is a jailbreak? You're a strange one.

19. EddyP macrumors 6502

My apologies on the gender goof. My mistake

I'm not saying you don't know how to stand up for yourself. You have demonstrated that here. :) I'm just saying once you hesitated on the whole beta thing you were at their mercy. Even if you knew more than she did, it didn't matter. In her eyes you were "up to no good" and she wasn't going to help you. That's what I meant by "submission" and "down to her level". It was more a comment about the genius than any you. You weren't going to win (like you said).

I still don't understand why you didn't just say you worked for a dev testing apps? Don't give them the chance to shut you down like that in the future.

Now realizing you are a woman, this makes more sense. A little batting of the eyes and I'm sure most guys will help you out. Men are suckers like that. :)

Either way, glad it worked out for you.

Peace, love, Apple.