Is an "iPhone Pro" coming?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by m-dogg, Jun 10, 2008.

1. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I can't help but feel that Apple will be announcing a new high-end iPhone model sometime soon...

While they added 3G & GPS, in many ways it feels like this model went down-market. Usually Apple keeps their price points about the same and adds lots of new features. In this case, they added the bare necessities, and cut the price.

I'm starting to think that the stage has been set for them to announce a new, higher end model with an aluminum back (similar to plastic macbook vs. aluminum macbook pro), better camera (maybe with video?), 32GB storage, front-side camera, etc...

Since the internal radio specs would still be 3G, I don't think they'd have to do any special FCC filing either...they may be able to just roll it out on the fly.

So what does everyone else think? Make sense? Or am I crazy? ;)

2. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

i dont think they will bring out a pro version.

They will def update the iPhone but not for 6-12 months because people that have just brought the new iPhone 3G wont want to change again.

It will happen but not for awhile.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No way. It may be lacking a few small things, but this is a top end handset.

4. bmh16 macrumors regular

I think we will see a 32Gb model in September or January, but don't think there would be anything else. Would be awesome if there was though!

5. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

metal was dropped due to signal strength on the radio signals (and there is a lot of them haha) not due to costing, so basically NO, That would just be the same model with more storage, which eventually would probably come out but wouldnt warrant being called an iphone pro.

6. m-dogg thread starter macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I never really heard about issues with signal strength though...

I don't know if they would (or should) call it an iPhone Pro, but I think this just might be the way they introduce an "iPhone Nano" - This new model announced yesterday will essentially become the low end phone, and then they'll add a higher spec (and more expensive) model that slots in above.

I mean, the market has shown that there a lot of people willing to pay ~$500 for an iPhone...what did Steve say, 6 million that they've sold so far? Certainly, they'll sell significantly more at these lower price points, but a market does exist at the higher end.

7. bmh16 macrumors regular

I agree. A better camera and 32Gb (to name only 2 features) have been missed out to be put on the next version. Wouldn't it be great Apple announce a new model on July 11th, or just say iPhone now available in 32Gb. Wishful thinking i guess though....

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

How much more pro do you need to get? Did you not see the half hour spent yapping about how they developed the 2.0 firmware with Fortune 500 companies? They'll probably add things like video later. I wouldn't be shocked to see the storage doubled on both versions late this year or early next year. It'll definitely happen within the next 12 months.

As for this front-side camera fascination, I don't see that happening. I see an external camera that uses the dock connector happening first. As much as some people love to dream, video conferencing on a phone is not exactly the next big thing (not to mention there's no video at all yet).

If anything, I see a smaller/less-featured iPhone for the market of people who don't want to fork out $20-30 for the data every month. Basically an iPod Touch that makes calls.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Apple DID NOT cut the price of the iPhone one cent. ATT is just picking up part of the tab and only IF you are a new subscriber/additional account. If you bought an iPhone last year odds are you will not get the iPhone for $199/$299 according to this memo: http://gizmodo.com/5014909/att-memo-to-retail-managers-shows-iphone-3g-policy

The memo has a special not for "upgrader" pricing. Typically cellcos require 18-24 mos. of use before they allow you to upgrade at a subsidized price. Nothing official yet, but upgrades could be paying substantially more if they want a 3G.

As for front camera... corporate would not appreciate this. In fact, they'd like the back camera removed. Many companies to not allow camera phones due to corporate espionage.

32GB will come in a few months, but right now it seems Apple feels it would undercut the Touch. I would love a 32GB iPhone and feels its needed with the App Store coming. I have a feeling a larger capacity Touch is coming in Sept and a 32GB iPhone will then follow.

10. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

11. Fuzzbear macrumors regular

Fuzzbear

No necessarily... I read this as saying.. If your a current 2G customer who pays thier bill on time.. you will become eligible for upgrade pricing.

"When the 3G device launches, all active postpaid customers in good standing with a 2G iPhone will be eligible to receive the qualified upgrade pricing for a 3G device regardless of service tenure. (Customers that would not otherwise be eligible due to tenure will be made eligible at launch)."

12. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

No pro. The iPhone will simply become to the phone market what the iPod is to the MP3 market. Everyone will pay a little bit more than usual to get something worth having.

13. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

There's definitely room for a Pro model (as there's room for a Classic, Nano, Shuffle iPods)

Better camera (with flash and zoom), ceramic back to make the signal strength even better, 32GB (that's coming in autumn anyway), cut and paste.

OK, OK the last one was a joke :)

Whether they'll release one or not is another thing. It's not beyond the realms. There's probably a market.

14. surfer99 macrumors 6502

Does anyone find it interesting that Steve did not have the physical iPhone on stage with him and from what I read no one has gotten a first hand look at the new phone? Makes me think we might be in for a good surprise before the release. Wishful thinking but you never know.

15. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

i thought they had some on show for people to play with at wwdc?

i hope this is the case and they bring out iChat!

16. surfer99 macrumors 6502

maybe your right. I personally have not read one hands on review or seen any other pictures except of what apple has posted on their website.

17. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Here is at least one review…
    From the BBC:
    etc…

18. aerospace macrumors 6502a

Actual photos of the white iphone have been posted. Not sure if they got to hold it or try it though.

19. ...Sunshine macrumors newbie

"See you this week"

To add to the speculation of this, why did jobs say that he will see us later in the week??? Is something fishy going on?? I should hope so!!

20. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Because WWDC runs until Friday and he probably meant he will be "seeing you this week" while doing the rounds…

No conspiracy going on. ;)

21. ...Sunshine macrumors newbie

(sigh)

...you wernt supposed to tell me that, now my hopes are crushed:(

22. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

lol we have been waiting a year so one more month isnt going to hurt! (much)

23. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

The iPhone Pro should have a hood ornament and heated washer nozzles.

24. m-dogg thread starter macrumors 65816

m-dogg

sure, but the iPod has several products in its lineup. so does apple's desktop and laptop lineup. why wouldn't they offer multiple iPhone models?

25. m-dogg thread starter macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Yup - That's what I was thinking...just that if they chose to add another iPhone model to their lineup, I think it would more likely slot in at the top end vs. the bottom end.