Is an iPhone right for me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by magicdanw, Jun 8, 2008.

1. magicdanw macrumors newbie

Hi! This is my first post here at MacRumors, and I'm looking forward to meeting some new people who can help me out with my question! :)

I'm considering getting an iPhone as a replacement for my current mp3 player, cell phone, and pda. I had ipod with video for a while, and my brother had an old-ish archos. He wanted to have an iPod, and I was curious about the interface/hackability of the archos, so we switched. Bad move! The Archos has an annoying interface, bad battery life (not dissing Archos here, just my brother's item), and wasn't very fun at all! :( My cell phone right now is functional, but boring, and needs a new battery cause this one doesn't hold a charge well. Finally, my pda of 4 years (an hp h2215 that served me well until the end) has finally gone to meet its maker :( and I'd like to find a decent replacement.

All of this brings me here! I realize now how nice the iPod interface was, and it'd be nice to keep using my clock/radio with iPod dock (it doesn't have normal audio input - what's up with that?!?!?). I figure it'd be nice to combine all three of these devices into one stylish device like the iPhone, and I'm hoping that in the future, Apple will release an SDK for Windows that'll let me download my own apps to my own device for free, because it's always fun to learn a new language and program on a new platform (well, if you're me, anyway :) ). Finally, who knows what goodies will come out with the new iPhone and once the app store

Now, the only real reason I might not get an iPhone: cost. I've heard that AT&T might subsidise the cost, which'd be awesome, especially since I already have a family plan with them. However, my parent's aren't all too happy about forking out $240 per year for data plan ($20/month), and I think it's a bit silly as well, since I'm going to a college next fall where I think I'll be around WiFi a lot of the time, and when I'm not, well, I'm not nearly as addicted to the internet as many people I know :D So I'd like to get an iPhone and then cancel the data plan. But would this "ruin" the iPhone "experience"? I wouldn't have Visual Voice Mail, which sounded nice, and of course when I'm out of WiFi range it'll turn into an iPod Touch with speaker and camera. Is it still worth it? I think so, but some of my friends with iPhones don't.

This is the question I lay before you: Is an iPhone right for me?

Sorry for being so wordy, but I hope you'll all respond, and I'd love to hear your takes on my situation! :)

2. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

It sounds like it is definitely right for you (after all, it is right for just about everybody), but I would wait until tomorrow, there will be the 3G iPhone announcement, which might also include some new features.

3. Bob Loblaw macrumors regular

Bob Loblaw

I think so. Just think about the cost of replacing all three of those things you listed, plus the convenience of having them all in one. If you're like me at all, as I walked around campus, I hated having to carry my phone and my iPod.

4. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

I was sorta in the same situation as you. I bought an iphone recently but sold it due to the 3G coming out so soon. The thing is i don't want to pay for the data plan either and i think $240 is too much to deal with for either me or my parents. Anyways when i had my iPhone it was awesome despite not having EDGE. (What i did was buy an iphone and unlock it and put in an AT&T sim). So it was great as a phone even without the internet everywhere. And i have to say it was fun showing it off to everyone.

5. magicdanw thread starter macrumors newbie

Of course. The reason I'm thinking about making this purchase now is because of all the hype around the new release.
    Cool. The only thing is, I'm hoping to get mine for $200 with the rumored subsidies, and I already have a phone as part of my family plan, which I don't think will expire for a year. I assume the subsidy is only with a new 2 year contract, and I don't want to pay a cancellation fee or pay for two phones when I'll only use one. Any ideas? Anyone want to buy a contract from me? :D

6. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

AT&T occasionally offers the current gen as a refurb for $250. You could purchase it there (or used) and activate it on your line.

7. magicdanw thread starter macrumors newbie

Good idea, but I'd rather get mine sooner than later (it takes time for new items to become refurb/used, n'est pas?) and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with a used iPhone, considering the most important part - the screen - could be all f-ed up by a previous owner.