Is an iPod Touch meant to be turned on all the time?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by doxavita, Aug 12, 2010.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

Should an iPod touch be turned on all the time?
    I ask since it takes kind of long to start-up and the claim at apple's website is that the battery can last up to 30 hours for music playback.
    So basically, Should I just let it go to sleep and resume from there instead of having to shut down and startup every time I need to use it?

Thanks

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's fine for it to be on all the time. Just let it sleep and wake it up when you need it.

3. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is there a limit to the amount of time an iPod Touch can be in sleep? (Does the battery get slowly drained while in sleep?)

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The battery does drain. But slowly. It drains faster if you have it push email and push notifcations turned on. I have an old 2G iPod Touch that checks for emails, updates four calendars, and synchs contacts every hour. It lasts about 3 months just sitting there doing nothing but that.

5. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, So I guess from now on, I'll let it be turned on all day. If that's better..

6. Code.Red macrumors regular

I don't think my 1st gen iPod touch has been turned off longer than 24 hrs straight since I got it... about 2.5 years ago. I also usually keep it plugged in and charging whenever I have the chance, and the battery is still as good as when I bought it.

7. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

I realized my iPod Touch's battery drained quiet quickly if I shut it down and started up over and over again. Nowhere near that 30 hour claim.

8. gdkid2010 macrumors regular

Just make sure that you put it to sleep. Mine doesn't automatically go to sleep so if I leave it on (not sleep), it drains fast.

9. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

How can I make sure that sleep is enabled? In mine the screen will simply go black after a while and I have to press the home button to unlock it and keep using it, is that it?

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yep, that's sleep. If your on iOS 4 make sure that there are no backgrounded apps running.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It'll automatically shut itself down if you leave it asleep for "too long" (might be 24 hours).

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Really? I've never had an iPod do that. The only time my iPod has ever shut itself down automatically is when the battery is almost dead.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Mine will consistently turn itself off over the weekend and boot up from scratch on Monday morning. The battery is nowhere near empty when this happens.

14. Zay1993 macrumors newbie

I would guess it might be loading the OS up time after time kills the battery faster than just leaving it on sleep.

15. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I've had mine for two years and it's never been turned off for other than OS upgrades.

16. DARKJ3DI macrumors regular

DARKJ3DI

I leave mine on all the time. It frustrates me when I lend it to someone and they think that after they use it, they turn it completely off.

17. gdkid2010 macrumors regular

That's one of the reasons why you don't lend it to someone ;)

18. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

Never heard that, never seen it. Mine has not done that and it is on all the time. Strange... Are you sure it is not broken? :p