Is an IPS display THAT important?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by absynthetic, Mar 10, 2009.

1. absynthetic macrumors newbie

I'm about to get a new Mac Pro (the most modest configuration) and I'll be using it primary for music production (i.e. Logic). I won't really be doing anything graphics intensive. At best, I'll watch the occasional movie on it and play a game or two.

The thing about the ACDs is that they're so expensive! So I'm wondering, is it really worth it for someone like me to fork over $899, or should I stick with a cheaper one in the $300-$400 range? I'm going to need to get two eventually...

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you don't need accurate color, good viewing angles, and a quality display, then by all means settle for something of lower calibre.

3. absynthetic thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess the real question is, is it going to make a huge difference if I'm not using it for video or photography?

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The only issue you'll have is the lower viewing angles of TN panels. It only becomes a problem if you have a very large display (24" or larger), or if someone is setting next to you trying to see what you have on the display.

5. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

in terms of music production you'll experience no difference. In terms of $$, you'll experience a big difference :D My advice is since you don't need the advantages of accurate color etc. which is what paying for an IPS display gives you, don't waste the extra money on an ACD. Get two 24" monitors from Dell at that price.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

For music production, you don't need to spend the $$$ for IPS. You can go with TN on the least expensive end, or go with something in between that uses S-PVA. Still less expensive than IPS, but might be more than satisfactory.

You might want to take a look around locally, and see what's available. Most you'll find are either TN or S-PVA. Research the model numbers, and you should be able to tell what you can live with, and balance that with your wallet. ;) :D

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Although many of the cheapest screen are TN, there are xVA displays that are practically as effective for significantly less money. IPS a sort of indicator of generally decent quality in the overall scheme of things, and some panel nerds - many of whom don't even own the monitors they disparage - get way too worked up about the specs.

In fact, taking as a comparative example the PVA 2707WFP that I'm sitting in front of right now vs a couple of recent 30-inch ACD that I have beside me and flashing up white screens on both, there's less colour shift with the 2707WFP when moving my chair the same distance across the screen.

Personally, a 22-inch TN screen is the most I feel OK with: 24's display more noticeable colour shifts for me at the edges of the screen, and even for non-graphic work it's at the level where it's starting to bother me. But that's a personal thing. For many people more into games, etc TN might even work better without the ghosting that some of Dell's upper-end screens and the Apple ACD's suffer from.

8. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

I just replaced my old 17 inch Apple LCD with two 23 inch ACD and am very happy. I did try the Vizio 26 (I think VMM26) that is available at BJs and Coscto for $300 currently and it was an ok monitor. But the color reproductions in comparision to both the 17 and one 23 was not nearly as good which made it an easy decision to return.

If you choose not to go with the ACD's, I'd go for the refurbished DELL 2408.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

S-PVA is decent, and in the case of an Eizo Nanao, can give IPS a serious run . Not inexpensive though.

10. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Corrected that for you:

If you don't need accurate color, good viewing angles, and a quality display, then by all means settle for an Apple MacBook or MacBook Pro.

;)

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

12. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I went from an IPS display to a TN display. I notice no difference. In fact, I find this LCD to be of a much higher quality. Now that being said, I don't do gaming or anything. I just use my computer for work, programming, multimedia, etc.

13. absynthetic thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm, didn't even think about the viewing angles. What do people think of using an HD TV as a monitor? I hear plasmas are getting cheaper and cheaper as LCDs surpass them quality.

14. Jenius macrumors newbie

Dell 2209WA uses IPS screens (e-IPS to be exact) too.

Thought I think it is not available in Dell US stores yet, I think it will eventually come. It is available on Dell HK store at HK$1600 (US$228). Why settle for less?

I have seen it, and it is really good. I am using another IPS monitor by Dell myself. My Dell 2007WFP IPS monitor cost twice as much two years ago... This one is as good in colours, and yet much brighter.

e-IPS's low price would give TN a hard time...

I think TN panels really sucks. Especially if you have a big widescreen one. The viewing angle is so bad that images from the left and right portion of the monitor will look of different colour and contrast to the center portion. Just my 2 cents..