Is an iSkin Keyboard Protector recommended ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dcl, Feb 17, 2008.

1. dcl macrumors regular

dcl

Macbook Pro keyboard seems to have room around the keys to allow dirt, dust, exc. to get under the keyboard.

Is this the case ?

Is an iSkin type keyboard protector recommended ? or is it not necessary ?

Does the iSink block any heat from venting?

2. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I can't imagine there being an issue with heat in a keyboard, since there are no components that generate any appreciable heat within. Don't worry about it.

As for a keyboard skin, I think it's a matter of personal preference. I like them, especially with the white or silver keys of the Mac, since they tend to get a buildup of cruft on them if you don't use a skin. And yes, the keyboard skins do help to keep crud out of the keyboard over time, especially if you eat around your computer (shame!) or have pets.

That being said, I wouldn't use one on my MBP, but then again it's closed when not in use.

MacDann

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I've used iSkins w/ my 12" PB, 12" iBook, and my MB. Assuming the MB iSkin fits the MBA (whenever I get it-- *sniff*), then I'll use it on the MBA, as well.

I've found that with the MB, I could feel the fans either sucking or blowing air through the KB so if I could hear the fans kick up, I'd take off the iSkin. But usually, there's no problem and I just leave it on. :)

Definitely helps me keep things as pristine as I can since as MacDann alluded to, I do eat/ drink around my computers, and I have two cats. :D

If you don't wanna buy direct from the manufacturer, you can often find folks on MR selling them for good prices or even eBay.

4. elmo151 Guest

I agree. I've never used one.

5. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Heh. Guilty as charged. Food (on a limited basis) and four cats, only one of which likes to try and camp out in the middle of my desk (when I am working, of course.)

Not to mention I'm an IT person by trade, and it pains me to think of the cruft I have blown out of keyboards (with canned air, of course) during my working hours. Yuck.:eek:

MacDann

6. S2NINJA macrumors member

S2NINJA

I've been using the iskin keyboard protector for about 7 months on my mbp... no issues (heat or otherwise).

I had a little mishap w/ my laptop, where i was drinking something and i coughed w/ the drink still in my mouth. obviously, i ended up spewing it all over the screen and keyboard! not to mention my desk... after that scare (luckily, none of it seemed to have gone inside...) i went to pick up my "keyboard condom".

I wouldn't say that it's necessary, but if you're the type that likes to keep their stuff in pristine condition, then i would say go for it. And if you eat or drink by your computer, then i would recommend getting one. it only takes 1 accident... it's also great for preventing dust and what not as well... when i first took it off to clean it, i was amazed at how much dust, etc was on it. (and i'm a clean person)...

7. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Yeah they're good, I have one (in blue) myself. They dont' seem to block the vent or increase temp. or anything. I say go for it! Your keyboard will be new after years of heavy usage! Esp. useful if u like to eat/snack when using the laptop.

8. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I am looking for one of these for an old style white Apple Keyboard. Any idea where I can get one in the UK?

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yes, they do ship internationally it seems. But like I also previously said, you might be able to find 'em for cheaper on MR/ eBay. All up to you. :)

10. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I have the blue one and haven't experienced any problems.

I love them and am now on my second iSkin keyboard protector for my MacBook (nephew got ahold of the first one LOL).

ETA: I agree with devilot, search around the internet for a better price.

11. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

I think the cooling system in the MBP is banking on being able to get air from through the keyboard; when my system is really working (fans cranking) and I'm typing I can feel the air being pulled in then the hot air goes out by the screen hinge. It seems the skin would affect the cooling of the system in a negative way. Anyone notice increased temps?

12. djforge macrumors newbie

I was using the iskin serato controls skin on my white macbook when I DJed. After I used it a couple of times I noticed that it stained my macbook where the edges of the skin rested. So disappointing because it came in handy for keeping the keys clean in smoky clubs

13. Twenty5 macrumors regular

Silicon Protectors DO affect the general airflow of the Motherboard

The heat does increase when the iSkin is on the keyboard...... I just noticed that when i took it off both the GPU Diode and CPU A temperatures decreased by 2 and 4 degress respectively. :mad:

Now im just using my keyboard protector while my machine is at rest...

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Never felt the need to purchase any protective skins for my notebook and desktop computers.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I never use protection and I don't spill stuff all over my keyboard. Who likes the feel of those rubbers anyways!

16. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

lol, dunno why but that made me laugh:D...ok ok maybe i kno... im just a dirty minded person...:eek:

17. bart rijksen macrumors regular

I use the iskin, and it works great. Would highly recommend it.

18. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I have one, and its amazing. It reduces the keys down to a whisper and having the material over the keys should prevent the 'shining' issue that appears over time.

As an added bonus, when the keyboard backlight is illuminated and a key is pressed, it has a weird effect that makes it look like the key has totally disappeared...its hard to explain (but looks great in the dark)

But to answer your question, the Macbook Pro does not ventilate from the keyboard; the heatsinks for the logic board use heat pipes to go from their location under the keyboard to the fan intake and exaust on the opposite ends of the vent located in the back. Just place your hand there and you will feel them.

This is one of the critical design components for 'closed book' pro mode.

Attached Files:

19. goddessence macrumors newbie

iskin silicon keyboard protector imprint on computer screen!!!

I've noticed that the screen of my almost new MBP is 'imprinted' with an image of the iskin silicon keyboard protector Ive been using. I have tried cleaning the imprint off...to no avail...has anyone else had this problem with the iskin and if so have you been able to eradicate the imprint from your screen?

20. bart rijksen macrumors regular

Are you sure you have it properly seated? i have one and i love it. no problems with it, only good points.

21. ben.mcmahan macrumors member

yup i have the same thing on my keyboard/screen. Its the oil buildup stuck to your iskin, and then rubbing off on the screen. a good buffing with a microfiber cloth takes it off. also, use dishwashing soap to clean the iskin monthly to cut down on the oils (or weekly!) .

there is some joy detergent that is "made for plastics" that cleans it really well.

I love my iSkin:

1) it really quiets down my typing...libraries, note taking in class, etc. - it's nice not to be the source of a constant clatter
    2) I've (accidentally) dumped much of a large coffee on my laptop...and none of it went in the keyboard. it ran across the iskin and off the other side. i was lucky, but w/o the skin, it would have almost certainly been toast. (i know, i know, dont be stupid...i was careless and took that as my one freebie)
    3) it does prevent a little bit of cooling sicne there is a little bit of air flow through the keys and onto the ram/airport slot of my iBook. So when i use an external keyboard (for long typing sessions at home), i take it off to let the air flow.

i got mine for $15 at the campus bookstore...maybe $20?

paid for itself in a minute after my stupid mistake (2)

22. magid macrumors 6502

magid

I had one for a while, but recently sold it. I didnt really like the feel of the keyboard with it and kinda just felt it was pointless. I would say save your money.

23. Son of Matrix macrumors regular

Son of Matrix

Will the iSkin damage/stain the screen when you close your macbook?

I assume after putting the iSkin, your keyboard will be a bit 'thicker' and when you close it, it might touch the MacBook screen... So will it touch the screen? and if you stain your iSkin and then you close your MacBook will the stain get on the screen and also press on the screen (and make dead pixels :D) ?

24. Nate025 macrumors regular

So far no staining with the iskin on my MBP. But I do clean it pretty often, I wash my hands before I use my computer, and I don't always leave it in. To answer your question, yes if you get tough stains on the iskin it will get on your screen, so take care of your equipment. It doesn't press very hard, or hardly at all against the screen. The magnet on my left side is very weak so, when closed, the screen sits about a cm high on that side.

It's a little weird to get used to typing with at first: The keys don't read the same, it's less intuitive. But it's not too bad, I got used to it and typing is fine now. The backlighting still comes through, though I do have to turn it up a few notches.

Overall I like it a lot and am glad I got it. iSkin makes some really nice products and has for years.

25. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

bareback..no.... barefingers all the way!