Is an MacBook Air the right fit for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Riggaz, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Riggaz macrumors newbie

Hey guys.*

I'm looking at moving over to a MBA or a MBP from my current overpowered hackintosh build and have a couple of questions on whether I could get away with the air.

All I will be using it for is general computing as well as Indesign, large raw apperture library and some 1080p home video editing.*

Currently I'm spoilt for power but I want to be more portable and pack away the huge desktop/desk for a few years. I'm afraid though that the performance drop will be too much to bare.

I'm planning on NASing my large iTunes library( 1.5TB) so don't need multitudes of space.(apperture library 110GB, home video library 50GB)

The majority of the use will be for apperture and I hate nothing more than software lag when processing media, so my question is, can a MBA handle large raw apperture libraries without crapping out? Or should I just go for a MBP.

My wife, a graphic designer/art director is on maternity leave and working 1 of her 3 days a week from home soon so it's time to upgrade her 2008 white MacBook to a retina MBP. Will I be insanely jealous on speed and power when working next to her on the kitchen table? Or does the Air hold it's own?

Thanks!

----------

Sorry for the grammar error in the title!

2. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

The SSD is a huge benefit on Aperture libraries. My 120GB library loads very quickly, and I don't have much slowdown on it.

Depending on the size of the images you're working on, you might benefit from a faster CPU or more memory. My 8GB/i7 13" MBA works well for me.