Is "ANTI-GLARE" really worth it ??? 3 questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sportsfan1234, Aug 3, 2010.

1. sportsfan1234 macrumors member

I am buying a new 15'' macbook pro. I don't play games and I only travel here and there. B/c Mac's are so expensive I am trying to save $$$ on what I dont need. I am def getting the Glos High Res-, but is the anti glare really worth the extra money ???

Also, do I need a cooling pad or an antivirus? I have limewire, which I am aware is virus heaven, but for PC's. I hear some macbook pros are overheating. If, so, which would you recommend for the QUIETEST and most EFFICIENT cooling pad ? All advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1) anti-glare worth it in my case ? (y/n)
    2) cooling pad ? (y/n - recommendation?)
    3) anti-virus ? -remember i will have limewire- (y/n recommendation?)

2. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

1) No, unless you use it in very bright settings all the time.
    2) No, doesn't need it, they're just gimmicks.
    3) No

3. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

I don't even know what "brightness" setting I will use or even how to set it at that matter. I just want a nice sharp looking screen...

4. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

Go compare the two screens at your local Apple store for yourself.

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

if you want a sharp looking screen, forget the AG. Do get the His Res upgrade if possible since that really makes a nice difference too. Limewire for Mac is crap. I still use the PC version which has a usable interface unlike the Mac version. Heating pads/fans are ok, I use one but, then again, I only paid $5 for mine. Seems to work well. Your brightness settings will factor into the heating of the Macbook as well. Overall though, don't think you'll need a cooling pad unless you plan on camping out on your MBP for long periods of time.

6. kalex macrumors 65816

Some people prefer Antiglare. I know from past experience that Glossy macbook screens look nice and cool but they are hard to see. I had 13" MBP, 15" MBP and both are sold now. Will be getting Antiglare HD screen on my next 15"

7. dendkmac macrumors member

dendkmac

I had them put on an Anti-glare film on the MBP it helped.

8. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

I don't know what interface is... ( I know...I know...) What is the difference between downloading Limewire for my new MBP vs the version I have on my PC now ???

9. kalex macrumors 65816

Interface is what you see on the screen. Controls of the application. GUI

10. dasmb macrumors regular

Be careful -- "Save money where I can" can easily mean "I'm nickel and diming my purchase" and you'll be using this machine a long time.

Anti-glare is a godsend if you need it. It's easy to simulate the conditions where you'll need it -- get a pane of glass from an 8x10 picture frame and place it over your current laptop's screen. Then, do your best to sit where you'll be using the machine the majority of the time. If the glare of light reflecting off the glass doesn't bother you, you don't need anti-glare.

Otherwise, you do. Pay the money; it is very worth it.

A cooling pad is unnecessary. Under standard use you will not tax a mac to the point it will need cooling. Uses that will tax it are video transcoding, full screen 3D gaming and high def Flash animations (standard high def video uses the video hardware for acceleration and the machine tends to stay pretty cool). Also Windows, which doesn't manage the fan or power as well in my experience (17" i7).

As for virus protection -- people get it because though Macs are insusceptible to the current fleet of viruses, the people we communicate with are. Since you're a file trader, it makes sense you'll eventually send out any data that comes in. Running it through a virus scan is a kindness. But don't pay for it; ClamX is good enough.

11. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Yes
    1)Check out both at your local apple store it will make your mind up for you pretty quickly, if you get it wrong and get the wrong screen, its not easy to change later on. I love my antiglare.

2)No
    had no probs with overheating, gets a bit warm if left on for ages but thats it.

3)
    No
    If you sending files to windows users then maybe antivirus to be nice to them, then again your machine takes the performance hit and they really should have there own.

12. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Have you used an AG?

I don't know why people say this. I have had the gamut of MBPs with the glossy and could never stand it. Once I switched to my AG every day I am surprised by it's color and sharpness. That could be because I have the HR but I don't see why people say it's any less sharp when it is the same screen under then pane of glass.

As for the OP. Like I said, I had macbook unibody, macbook air, the mid 2009 macbook pro...and I traded them all to get this HR AG and I have never looked back. Now when I consider getting an i7, I wouldn't even look at the machine if it is glossy. Probably personal preference but I have had a taste and now I can't stay away.

13. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

I have never used anti-glare. It sounds like ppl are very found of them and for an extra $45/one time it seems worthit. I think I'm going to check out the screen in person at an Apple store.

14. mashny macrumors regular

Uh oh. Aside from Mac vs. PC, few things get computer users more heated than the matte-vs.-glossy argument. Personally, I would never buy a glossy screen on my main computer (I have a 13-inch Macbook with a glossy screen only because I didn't want or need a larger laptop, and Apple doesn't make a matte screen for that model). For my Mac Pro, and any machine that I do serious work on (primarily Photoshop), I would gladly pay a bit more for the matte option (or, since Apple no longer makes matte monitors, buy a monitor from a different company). But it all comes down to individual preference. Go to the Apple store and spend time with each machine to see what you like.

15. kalex macrumors 65816

Best advice is to go to your local Apple store and check them out side by side. Once you see AG, it would be hard to look at glossy again :)

16. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

It also seems that people who have Glossy - mostly don't care. But people with AG, (like me) try to spread the word, that damn the screen is nice! I've seen the trend on here being

1. those with glossy just got it because it was cheaper, or they didn't know better
    2. those with glossy like to defend their choice
    3. those with AG like to defend their choice

So in the end - it is up to you. For me, AG is worth it. Once I got the glossy, I would go to powersupport USA website to get a AG protector which is the worst route to go.

17. dasmb macrumors regular

Fun anecdote: two and a half years ago I purchased a top of the line 17" MBP. Paid upwards of $300 for the high definition LED backlit antiglare display (total loadout was $3400 or so, AC included).

It had occasional power problems, resulting in replacement of the logic board. I anticipate this kind of thing; I tend to use my machines to their limits 19 hours a day, which is why I do AppleCare. The third time it caught the power issue (this June), I was offered a replacement machine.

Now, I thought I'd get a refurb, have to wait a few days. But apparently they now serve replacements from store stock -- all they have to do is meet or exceed all the requirements of the current machine.

And thanks to the anti-glare, the only machine that met those requirements was the top of the line i7.

So. For $3400, I wound up with TWO top of the line machines. Both with gorgeous screens.