Is anybody buying the low-end Macbook Pro 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macbook14in, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Macbook14in macrumors regular

I can only afford to spend $1500, should I buy it even if it doesnt have the Touch Bar? I really want a Space Grey macbook..

2. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

am i missing something, isn't base 13" 2015 2.6ghz i5 or something, and this is 2.0ghz?

this is just new design and 2 ports, and screen/speakres?

compared to the touchbar model, huge disparity- 2.9ghz, and 2133 bus speed instead of 1866 on this non touchbar.

also slower 540 iris gfx, vs 550 in the base touchbar'

MAN THAT THING IS NEUTERED!

unfortunately if you dont see the value in touchbar model, I think you'd have to forego the re-design for better specs and less compromise,

imo.

3. blackberrycubed macrumors 6502a

I am debating between the two and cannot decide. Also considering the specter x360 with Kaby Lake i7-7500u for $1200 otd.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I was contemplating it until I realized that it only gets a $50 EDU discount. MBPs have always been $100 while the Air was $50. Unbelievable. Really disappointed in Apple. I'm either gonna get a MacBook or pick up a refurb 11" Air to replace my current air. Apple got too greedy.

5. Closingracer macrumors 68020

The 2015 model is the best value IMHO. I

6. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

still its tough if you really want new design and the butterfly mechanism, and can forego the compromises in light of my other comment

id say hold off and wait for a retail sale to pull the trigger, get back at Apple milking it even if you end up caving/indulging

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I agree and isn't that sad? A 18 month old computer at the same exact price point as it was 18 months ago is the best value machine.

8. Macbook14in thread starter macrumors regular

who cares about value.... we want Space Grey, thin and super light macbook pro

9. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

If you can only afford $1500, there may be better options on the pc side. I almost vomited in my mouth saying that. But Jesus Christ man. Are we really using the term "low end" to describe a $1500 13 inch laptop that has watered down specs? I mean I was always accepting of the apple tax but my god. There has to be a point when too far is too far.

I for one am seriously considering windows for the first time in years. I'm an apple fanboy that has justified everything. Can't with this

10. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Great for resell if you have one of these now re-desirable models, and want to jump the gun to the OLED bar and have money to burn but without paying full asking price

in hindsight, 2015 rMBP would have been a better "investment" than 2015 rMB. still, I eat the early adopter tax, and am not gonna trade it up.

edit- on another note, this further demonstrates that the apple lineup has gotten so bloated and convoluted its hard to feel you made the right decision on anything you buy, without wondering if you should have taken an older gen route, or different size route (both physically and with capacity, since theres strange overlap- 2015 rMB has 256gb but 2015 rMB'PRO' has 128GB base) or color route! I miss the days of one iPhone, one iPad, one of only a few macs, Mac line up is so fragmented its unbelievable.

11. Macbook14in thread starter macrumors regular

people got ripped off badly when they bought the first gen of retina Macbook Pro 15"