Is anybody gaming on an i7 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozreth, Apr 26, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Been looking to buy one of these but I do a lot of gaming on some pretty graphics intensive games and have been wondering about heat issues gaming after seeing all of the heat stuff floating around...

Was wondering if any other games have experienced super high heat when running games? Thanks!

2. a4209797 macrumors member

3. hypermog macrumors regular

If games are your only purpose, you can get WAY more performance for less money with a huge, clunky PC laptop. Like this!

4. nconnella macrumors regular

Agreed. You are in the wrong place for a primarily gaming device. Don't get me wrong, the MBP is fine for the casual to moderate gamer who doesn't require max settings, but you will be greatly disappointed if you want to play graphic intensive new games on high.

Having said that I can play Modern Warfare 2 with almost everything on max and it plays pretty good (couldn't tell you my FPS) but I don't have high hopes to do the same on any newer games. Part of it is Apple's fault, but part is there is no way to build a top end gaming laptop in a sleek small case like the MBP.

5. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

I am not looking for a computer that is ONLY for gaming. I want a laptop that can game well and do everything else (use osx, have good battery life etc). I've been using MBP's to game since '06 so Im not new to the idea.

I've been reading through the post linked earlier and it has been a tremendous help. Thanks!

6. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

I'm thinking the same thing :(
    I'll be needing a MacBook pro for college but I also like to game on the go...
    I'm afraid they might refresh it after the school year starts (like in oct/nov) And if it becomes way better than what it is currently, I'll be mad...

7. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Picked up my i7 and I sure plan to game on it quite a bit! Been doing so with my MBP's for a while now.

8. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

Almost every laptop vendor makes platforms that will play games well. HP Envy and Dell MX series just to name 2. Those platforms will play games at 1920x1200 with high from rates and they cost the same or less than a MBP. If you look at the those systems those, they are much larger, have huge air vents, make a lot of noise and have low battery life. Although I have NO proof, I suspect that there life span is less than a MBP on average.

MacBook Pros are great platforms for many, many applications... None of those applications are games though. It's not that apple can't do it. They aren't willing to compromise so much of the things that we love for the sake of games. Remember, nothing will tax a system like a newer game. They will max the GPU, push the CPUs and use a a chunk of RAM....MBPs would require a redesign just to deal with the heat.... Ignoring the space for fans, larger GPUs and that the system's battery life would go from 8 hours to 2 hours (Battery life is big deal to Apple).

9. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

That's what bothers me too dude :/