Is anybody going to stick to 1st gen iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphoneCraze1080, Jun 9, 2009.

1. iphoneCraze1080 macrumors newbie

I am not yet sure if I should make a move to the 3g S. I still have a 1st gen iPhone which works perfectly.

I have just one big reason and itz because of the sturdiness of the 1st gen iPhone. Anywayz AT&T really sucks on the 3g department. So i really didnt consider it to be a fast network to make me shift. I regularly browse the internet on my iPhone.

The iPhone 3gs has pretty decent features (although not the best). I definitely like the video camera option...and with 32 gb...that a plus. Apart from that the faster processor and more RAM helps...GPS is a plus....but I prefer using a seperate GPS unit most of the times. But Apple, probably you made a mistake by raising our expectations...and itz like there was nothing big for me to make a move to 3gS.

And please just improve the iPhone's build quality...Removing the crappy plastic would have made me buy the iPhone 3gs.

I will be happy if you give me the iphone 3.0 software. I do still believe the 1st gen iPhone along with 3.0 software will not warrant a move to 3gs...and Apple needs to do more.

All comments to prove me wrong or welcome and definitely comments that would force me into going for the 3gS will probably help me to judge better.

2. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

I have a v1 and im going to upgrade. Skip next generation and grab the new one in 2011. Hopefully it will be like the 3G to 3GS slightly better features, new look.

3. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

The faster processor would be nice, and I really like the new camera features... but I have other things I'd rather spend my money on than a new iPhone. I'm sticking with the 1st gen.

4. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I'm going to continue to use my first generation iPhone.

5. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

I shouldn't really due to the cost, but you know what I've had my unlocked 1st gen since Nov 2007 and I'm thinking it's time for a change, and damn would 3G be nice - let alone all the other new features.

6. Southpaw32 macrumors newbie

You talk about the sturdiness of the 1st Gen vs. the 3G/3GS, but I have NEVER seen anything to support this. In fact I would say the aluminum wasn't as sturdy as the plastic back of the 3G.
    Aluminum dents and bends, and I have seen many this happen on many phones, but I have never seen a cracked or broken back on a 3G.
    Actually, I take that back, I've seen one, but the phone was basically folded in half in an industrial accident, that no phone would have survived.
    Also, from what I understand and have experienced, the plastic back helps with reception vs. the aluminum.

7. sdmac macrumors member

I have a 1st gen and went to the AT&T site to preorder. I figured I've held out long enough.

However, I pay $30/month for my current data plan and 1500 text messages. To keep the same plan with the 3GS I'd have to pay $45/month. I have two lines so an extra $30/month. Not sure I am going to do it now. I was ready to pay the $10/extra month per line for the data plan but it looks like they increased the price plan of the text messages also.

8. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

you've obviously never read any of the dozens of threads here with pictures of cracks along the 3g housing.

i ordered a 3GS to replace my 1st gen iphone mainly because i've been waiting for a 32gb version plus i like the faster processor. that and i wanted something new. but i much prefer the look and metal to the original

9. amemoryoncelost macrumors 6502

Have had my 2G since about two weeks after launch and still love it, though I am taking it in for warranty this week, has a bright spot all along the right side of the screen. I'm thinking I may want to upgrade, but the price increase on the data plan is what's keeping me back. I know it's only $10 a month, just not sure if it's worth it or not. May wait it out to see if they do lower it in the coming months though(rumors).

We'll see, the GPS would be really nice and the video stuff might be kind of cool if the quality isn't too bad, though cycorder works well enough for what I need...

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Exactly what I'm going to do!

11. dvin macrumors member

my 1st gen still works fine, i would love the 32gb of space and the MMS capability - new camera is cool, but IMO will still suck without a flash in low light conditions. i don't really want to pay the extra data fee's per month...i think i will stick with my 1st gen until they come out with a matte black aluminum version or mine becomes incompatible with software upgrades!

12. iphoneCraze1080 thread starter macrumors newbie

Southpaw32 , i agree with you on the reception part.

But by sturdiness I mean...for example...I wouldnt get a crackline near the iphone jack after prolonged or rough use....I have seen this more often with my colleagues who have 3g iPhones....pretty much everybody who had an iphone 3g has had to replace due to the cracks...I definitely am with you on that the aluminum dents on really rough use. But itz not often that happens.

And how about a really good sturdy plastic...the htc's and the sony ericsson's and the samsung's have a sturdy plastic...if not all, most of them do have pretty decent plastic exterior.

13. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I have the first gen. iPhone and was considering upgrading to the new 3G S phone but now I'm not so sure. With all of the fall out on ATT's upgrade policy, MMS, and tethering...I almost want to wait it out to see if there will be a new carrier next year. I'll probably make my decision once 3.0 is released and I've had a chance to play with it for awhile.

14. iphoneCraze1080 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm....seems like a plan...

15. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I have an unlocked 3G right now. My plan is to go buy the original 8GB phone in Thailand if the price is right. I do business in Laos half the year and running tours and what not isn't easy on my phones. If I drop it or break it then it is okay if the original ones sink that much in price.

I should think the price of the original will be about cut in half as unlocked 3G phones will also become much cheaper. I just want to surf the net and Laos only has GPRS (Edge if you are very lucky) I know my way around the island I live on so can't see a compass or Tomtom being of all that much use as the island has no cars.

16. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

If you upgrade, you have to pay $5.00 to get the 200 text messages you're (we're) now getting for free, so it's actually $15.00 more a month...

17. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

I'm upgrading. Not immediately, but I suspect it will be before the end of summer. Going from iphone 2G to 3G was not worth it in my book, but the 3GS is a big-enough improvement to warrant the jump.

18. AsianChexMix macrumors regular

2G with spiderweb cracked screen...getting the 3GS definitely due to memory. I am MAXED and want video and MMS. That's about it. Sad how it's things it should have had but whatever. Here AT&T, I got more money for you.