Is anybody's 'Caps Lock' like mine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by feyn-man, Dec 4, 2007.

1. feyn-man macrumors regular

It's not sensitive at all. I must press 2-3 times before it works.

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

What sort of Mac is it you're having the problem with?

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I believe you have the new Macbook(?)

If so then it is like mine and the trick is to hold it slightly longer than a tap. Apple added this feature to stop people accidentally pressing it.

Try it out, tap it like you would a normal letter key and it doesn't turn on but tap+hold for a very short amount of time and it turns on.

I believe i is also like this on the new thin apple keyboards.

Edit:

Apple Keyboard (2007): Caps Lock modified to reduce accidental activation it doesn't specifically state the new Macbooks but i believe it is the same.

Edit 2: Here is a youtube video of it in action.

4. feyn-man thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, this is the new SR macbook.

Are you sure this is a feature apple added? It's not a keyboard issue?
    Any more guys help me to test yours, please. Thank you very much. I just made a appointment to genius bar. I'd like to cancel it if it's not a problem. I really don't want to be there again.

5. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I can tap mine quick as can be and the caps turns on just fine. off is the same way.

6. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I have the same problem with the new Wireless Keyboard. I have to hit the caps lock at least twice for it to engage when typing quickly.

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

See my edits, was looking for evidence to back it up and you are too quick to respond :)

That is weird because the apple Kb article says otherwise.

Have you viewed the youtube video and tried it out, maybe you are tapping too quickly.

8. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

It's a feature designed to quietly hint to people that they should NEVER USE CAPS LOCK BECAUSE IT'S SHOUTY AND ANNOYING.

Yep, there are uses for it, but it hurts to look at, so...

http://rentzsch.com/notes/applesantiCAPSLOCK

9. feyn-man thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I got it. Thanks.
    But I don't like that. Because I always use caps lock to switch input method. That's convenient for me before they issue that "feature".

This is actually an useless feature I think. The only case you could accidentally press it is when you want to press the Shift key. If you are pressing a shift key, of cause you will hold it more than second. So how can this so called "feature" works?

10. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I noticed that in the Apple Store with all the keyboards, thought it was a bug at first, thats for clearing that up people!

IMO, they should have made a software option for this, so you can turn this "feature" off.

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well it is right next to a, tab, q, `

But I hear you that it is annoying, especially considering that you can't turn it off if you wish. Suppose you are going to have to learn to press it slightly longer than you normal do at the moment.