iPad mini Is anyone a 6+ and Mini user?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thadoggfather, Oct 16, 2014.

1. thadoggfather, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I have the regular 6 and rMini and the combo works great for me. Had iPad 1-3 before that.

but just curious, any 6+ and mini users out there? Lots of people are asserting that Apple nerfing iPad mini 3 by simply adding touch id could foreshadow its eventual death as 6+ and Air are doing really well and mini is sort of the awkward in between that's getting neglected now by whats out there with competition.

But I think even if I went the phablet route, I'd want my mini too. I think tablets serve their purpose, but I prefer 7.9" to 9.7" for typing and even within my apartment portability. I just think it feels right. 9.7" is almost like I should just get out my computer.

There is so much overlap between the whole spectrum now, its hard to rule out any combo I feel like.

3.5" phone (not offered by apple anymore, but), 4.0", 4.7", 5.5", 7.9", 9.7", maybe 12.9" or something if iPad pro rumor is true.
    laptops 11.6", 13.3" 15.4", 17" (no longer),
    desktops 17", 20" (no more), 21", 27"

2. betaboy78 macrumors regular

betaboy78

I currently have the 6 Plus and the Retina Mini. I am going to trade up to the Air 2 and pre-order it tonight. The Mini just doesn't seem as useful anymore, and I miss the bigger screen on the Air (had it before, but it was stolen at the ATL airport). Tried the mini and liked it, but the 6 Plus makes it much less desirable to me now.

Just my 2¢ - YMMV.

3. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

I have the 6 Plus and retina mini. After I got the 6 plus, I definitely use the retina mini much less than I used to. The screen on the 6 plus is just gorgeous and big enough where I don't mind using it whenever I need to go on the net.

4. rkuo macrumors 6502a

I stopped carrying my iPad mini regularly once I got the iPhone 6 plus. It was my constant companion previously. But the bigger screen and exceptional battery life of the 6 Plus do the job well enough on the go, and without the hassle of carrying two devices.

I still enjoy using the mini at home and I think it's the perfect size for traveling and flying as well. Despite the Air 2 being a nice upgrade, the fact is the Mini 2 does everything I would use the Air for, and in a smaller form factor, which is more important for me. My eyes are still good enough that using the iPad mini is just fine.

5. mlw4411 macrumors member

I haven't used my iPad mini since I got my 6+. Think I'll sell it and get the Air 2!

6. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I have a 6+, retina mini, and Air.

Haven't picked up the rmini since I got the 6+, so upgrading the Air to an Air 2 and selling both my Air and retina mini.

The only issue with the 6+ as a mini replacement is that the 6+ has phone versions of apps where the mini has (normally better) iPad versions of apps.

Hopefully there will be some crossover on the 6+ from phone apps to more ipad -like apps (landscape for example)

7. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

I have a 6 Plus and a retina mini. However, my next iPad and probably every iPad in the future will not be a mini. Even though I love the form factor and the two devices don't really compete for the same type of time, apple has basically shown that the mini will now be a nerfed iPad and always a year behind the 9.7" model. I will be going Air 3 next. iPad mini 3 is like an absolute slap in the face to apple fans. I mean really!?

8. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

I had a Mini Retina that I sold 3 weeks ago in anticipation of the iPad refresh. My plans were to replace it with the Mini 3.

I got the 6 Plus on the Friday after launch (pre-ordered) and have been using it for a few weeks. Fantastic device, but does not replace a tablet...at least not for me. I prefer many of the "iPad Apps" over the "phone version" of the apps and prefer full web pages over mobile web pages in general.

After the iPad announcement yesterday my plans changes. Very disappointed in the Mini 3 and don't want a full size iPad. I pre-ordered the Nexus 9 last night (Amazon) instead. Opting out of this years iPad offerings.

9. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

So just to update my own thread, dabbling with the monstrous 6+ and love it!

Though I'm glued to it and my rMini is getting less use, its not getting no use.

I still use it, and still love it! Air2 didn't cut it for me.

So I guess I'm someone who's a user of both, not ready to ditch the tablet any time in the foreseeable future.

10. ttran88 macrumors regular

I use a note 3 and a ipad mini retina. The ipad retina works well with my rMBP esp with the newest software.

11. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

I am thinking about getting the base mini2 for when my phone is charging!

12. thadoggfather, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I use my iPad mini quite a bit in general, but while my 6+ is charging, it especially comes in handy :)

13. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

iPad mini 2, iPad Air and iPhone 6+ is the trio of iDevices I enjoy.

There's enough difference between each that I have no desire to consolidate. :)

14. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Nice combo-ing the mini and air, I commend you :D

15. AR15MBP macrumors regular

Keep your receipt. I find the 6 Plus and 9.7" iPad to be the best combo. What I have seen from my Nexus 7 makes me really appreciate Apple hardware and the iOS ecosystem. May upgrade my iPad 3 to Air 2, but so far the 6 Plus and "outdated" iPad 3 are perfect.