Is anyone actually considering a protective shell?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by DynaFXD, Apr 12, 2015.

1. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

I got an email from a certain popular iOS device accessory manufacturer. I buy their stuff and think it's great stuff. They are touting protective shells (aka cases) for the AW. They had a picture, but I did not examine it too closely. My question is, is anyone actually considering a protective case? If so, why? The AW is by some folk's opinions too big already, and some people will slap an even larger shell on top of that? I could maybe understand a protective film as some small silica grit could scratch oleophobic coatings or even ion glass. But a case? People buy watches for 10's of thousands of dollars and don't put cases on those. And they are life time purchases. I just can't believe that there would be a lively market for these things. Would you seriously consider it?

2. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

You wouldn't put one on a Tag or Rolex so why on an Apple watch which has a shorter life span.

3. chrise2 macrumors 6502

I'll never get one, but I'm sure they'll sell to some people.

4. NAYo2002 macrumors 6502

I thought about getting a bumper type thing for when I go hiking or snowboarding. Going to let other people be beta testers first though. The accessory makers are guessing the size. They'll be close but might be off enough to cause issues since it's so small.

I would only consider soft rubber type things though. The hard, some even metal, cases will probably scratch. Might just be a better idea to leave the watch off for anything more extreme than a run in any case.

5. betabeta macrumors 6502a

I wasn't going to but everyone keeps saying you going to wear that working out out in the farm?

I do a lot of heavy work around the house and never had a watch, anyone doing heavy work wear a watch, Let me know your experience.

So they got me thinking about it.:confused:

6. camtechman56 macrumors regular

If you want a case, get a case. asking people in this forum this question will bring out all the fashion buffs, and they really hate having a case on a watch. I for one will be buying a case, but some of these people take it as a personal affront to them if you want one. and some will say scratches on the watch shows character :rolleyes:

7. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

8. tresmith macrumors 6502

The bumper by actionproof is actually pretty good looking.

[​IMG]

9. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

sounds terrible to me. If you are a big hiker etc don't buy the 10K watch. And get Apple Care Plus. the prices are crazy low all things considered. Especially on the Sport Watch

and it's not going to get broken or scratched up unless you don't clasp it properly or you run into walls etc a lot.

10. pragmatous macrumors 65816

It's situational. If you work in tough environments you might want to protect your stuff. If you work in professional environments you'll want to show off the shiny. Or just do whatever you want. Who cares.

11. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

At least for the iPhones and iPads, apple releases detail diagrams with exact measurements to allow case makers to make their products. I'm not sure if they've done that for the watch.

Spigen is advertising a couple of different ones.

12. MojoRisinSD macrumors regular

I can say, with a fair amount of confidence, that not many people at all will go out in public with any type of protective "case" on their watch.

13. NJRonbo, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

NJRonbo macrumors 68000

You are correct.

However, at work (and I work in industrial settings) I think I will buy a bumper.

The rubber bumper, at $35 is too expensive. There are two Spigen models on Amazon for $15 each. They look more attractive and less obtrusive

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...veASIN=B00UVSNKWQ&linkCode=as2&tag=igeek0f-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...veASIN=B00UVSOHJQ&linkCode=as2&tag=igeek0f-20

I linked the 42mm models. Do a search if you want the smaller one.

So, yes, at work, I will put extra protection on the watch. Once I leave, that protection comes off.

14. Recognition macrumors 6502

Recognition

I'm considering a bumper style protection when I get my AW for work, I work on building sites and in confined spaces (where I can't remove my iPhone from my pocket or carry it in my hand, think crawl spaces) so some sort of protection against knocks would be appreciated.

15. docprego macrumors 65816

16. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Maybe I'll just get a wristband and pull it over the watch when working outside, I can simply slide it off to check when a notification comes in. That will at least offer some protection.

I just don't know yet, I never had a watch so this is all new to me.

17. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Hey that doesn't look bad at all...I might consider the black one for my space grey sport

18. deadstockmarket macrumors regular

deadstockmarket

I honestly think it's stupid. A case for your watch? And a screen protector? Lol

19. redmachine macrumors member

Protector for a phone yes - there may be a time it gets dropped.

Protector for a watch no - unlikely my arm will be dropped, and if it does, I wont worry about the watch!

20. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Yes I will but only when doing yard work. It will be caseless the rest of the time. That is unless I find cases cause more damage than leaving the watch bare. Trapped grit could be a problem. At any rate I'm keeping an open mind.

It's of no concern to me what anyone else decides to do with their watches. I usually only call people judgmental names if they're doing something that negatively impacts me or other people.

21. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

No it's not. I'm sorry but it's NOT!:(

That bumper is HIDEOUS!

22. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

No

23. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I never thought I would want one but that one looks half way decent and you can change the look of the watch.

24. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Yeah, I just saw those when I followed a link in the charger thread to the Spigen site (their charging stand looks pretty slick).

Thinking of the thin[est] one in white for my wife's watch (silver Sport + white band).

25. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

The Spigens don't ship until the second week of May (I believe).

Not the best scenario for those of us getting the watch on launch date.