Is anyone associated with FIRST?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kentochan, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Kentochan macrumors 6502

Kentochan

Just a quick question to see if any fellow Mac Rumors members were/are part of the FIRST organization.

For those of you who don't know what FIRST is, it is an international (based in the US) non-profit organization that work to inspire science and technology in the lives of kids ages 6 to 18. The organization encourages the usage of engineering and problem solving skills by creating and hosting robotics competitions all over the country, where teams of different age groups face off against other teams in the same robotics program. At the end of each season, the FIRST Championships are held in St. Louis, Missouri in which the best of the best from all over the globe compete in epic robotics competitions :D

Personally speaking, I am part of the Battlefield High School ILITE Team #5264 for FTC in Haymarket, VA.

Link to the FIRST homepage: http://usfirst.org/

2. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

No, but I'm involved in a similar robotics competition, known as BotBall. I've heard First is more complex through

3. balofagus macrumors regular

I was part of my high schools FIRST Robotics team. It has since folded due to lack of sponsorship and teacher mentors but it was a good time!

4. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

FIRST rocks! ...Was deeply involved back in high school; it's a great program and the competitions are a blast.

I also met Woz through FIRST.

BotBall was fun way back in the day... 2003-ish? Loved using those GameBoy Colors as the bot's brains! And man, our line follower program was the coolest. :p

5. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Never heard of it, but sounds like a great program.

I'm your neighbor, in Ashburn, VA, do you know if they do this program in Loudoun County (through meets you've had or anything like that)? Might be something a few of my friends (successful tech guys) may want to get involved with.

6. leftywamumonkey, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

7. Kentochan thread starter macrumors 6502

Kentochan

I would try this website to see stuff about FIRST here in Virginia:
    http://www.virginiafirst.org/