Is anyone BOTH syncing with Exchange and a home Mac?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ToneMonkey, Jul 22, 2008.

1. ToneMonkey macrumors member

Yes, I searched the forums. I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I would like to know about one specific scenario: a person who uses their iPhone at work and syncs with Exchange using MS ActiveSync -AND- syncs with their home Mac. I am specifically interested in any issues with calendars and contacts.

Exchange support seems to be rock solid.

On the Mac end, is it still possible to select certain address book and ical groups for syncing within iTunes (I can't imagine why not, but I've learned to ask "stupid questions" rather than get bit later).

Thanks in advance.

2. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

With my old Pocket PC I was able to sync to two different computers. I would imagine that it would be difficult (impossible?) to sync to a PC through Exchange AND sync to a mac at home.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I have Exchange synced and MobileMe synced, if that's what you mean?

4. dj420118 macrumors regular

You can sync using the two different services but from what I have seen the iPhone doesn't separate them very well so you'll have your exchange contacts together with your home contacts. I figure if you make a "group" in your address book at home you could call it "Home Contacts" and separate them that way if you wished.

5. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I use mobileme to keep my personal info synced and ms exchange activsync for work info.

I sync it all, email, contacts and calendars. Integrates very nicely and can coincide on the phone at the same time.

6. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

I sync with both exchange and mobile me.
    It works just fine, and when you view your contacts, calenders and emails you have the choice to view them all merged together or separate.
    It works very well for me.

7. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

Does the exchange info on your phone get pushed up to the MM cloud and then back down to your home mac?
    Do the exhchange contacts and calendar items just appear as different groups?

8. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

From what I can gather the exchange info syncs directly with my work exchange server and doesnt have any link to the MM cloud. It is only the iphone that holds all info together on one device.
    With regards to the contacts, you can have them viewed as different groups, and also all as one group. If for instance you have the same contacts in your .mac and exchange then they will both be shown and may look like duplicates.
    I only ever display my .mac contacts anyway but use my exchange contacts for emails.

9. newbie88 macrumors newbie

ActiveStink doesn't work well with my Mac/iTunes-No Home contacts

I was given a setup routine by my corporate overlords for setting up Activesync with my OG iphone. I backed everything up first, just as they suggested, but the Activesync erased all of my contacts-also expected. I cannot get them back onto my phone through my home Mac/iTunes. The IT guys (of course they're UNIX and PC users) suggest exporting my Address book contacts and importing them onto my work computer. A non-starter for me.

Great, I get tons of useless emails and 24/7 connectivity to my job, but no personal contacts. Definitely reeks of Microsoft.

Any ideas out there?

Here's the message I get from iTunes:

"Your contacts are being pushed to your iphone over the air from Microsoft Exchange. Over the air sync settings can be changed on your iphone."

I see nothing that allows me to add my home Address Book contacts.