Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drbrog

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Chicago
Why would anyone spend $3000 on a new powermac G5 when the intel versions are just around the corner. I realize that Rev A may have glitches and non-universal software will run faster on a G5, but I can't imagine spending that kind of loot on a G5 now.
Apple should at least reduce the price of the G5s.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
People are still buying them because they need them. The Power Mac G5's are great machines and as of right now, faster than the Intel Macs Apple has. The G5's are going to be supported for a long while, so they won't reduce the price, hence the reason it costs so much to get the processors anyway. There the pro machines, Apple won't reduce the price. Phf. yeah right. :rolleyes:

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Powermacs, the Duals and especially the Quads, are likely faster than what is available from Intel right now, and maybe for some time. The iMac and to a larger degree the Powerbook were a bit underpowered, and thus saw a large boost by going to Core Duos. I don't think this is the case with the Powermacs. They still are at the top of the heap. So, no price cuts.

Edit: beaten by lilstewart; I should learn to not try to respond to two threads at once ;)

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
G5s are very fast mahines and very expandable. iMac Core Duo might be faster than dual-core 2 GHz G5, but can you put that much RAM, a second HD, an awesome graphics card it it? Can you connect a lot of monitors to it? No. So, PowerMacs beat iMacs in functionality in the low-end, and are also faster in the mid-high-end versions.

BTW my dad bought DC 2.3 not long ago and he's happy with it :)

Xcaliber

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2006
I purchased a G5 Dual 2.7 just a few months ago. I needed a new computer, and didn't want to wait for Intel. Like stated above, the PowerPC will be supported for a long time to come. I didn't want to wait for a Rev. B/C Intel PowerMac, (won't take a chance on a Rev. A), and other than being able to boot to Windows, saw no advantage to waiting. I absolutely love it and no regrets whatsoever.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
My work is getting ready to replace our old G4 towers with the G5...We're talking AT LEAST 4 months before the Power Macs are available, and if the delays in shipping on the MBPs are any indication, it could be another 2 months before you get what you order. And that's if they ship at the same time they are expected to be announced- WWDC.

My work is on a 4-5 year upgrade cycle, currently, and I feel that the G5 will be plenty useful during most, if not all, of that time.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Some people are. I just sold my Quad for $4k to a guy who used Adobe apps exclusively and needs it NOW. Those are the people buying Power Macs.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
drbrog said:
Why would anyone spend $3000 on a new powermac G5 when the intel versions are just around the corner.....

I just got my Quad (see sig) about two weeks ago. I needed a workhorse now and couldn't wait any longer. Also, I've learned from experience that if I feel I should wait for something better, I'll always be waiting and never be happy.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
4God said:
Also, I've learned from experience that if I feel I should wait for something better, I'll always be waiting and never be happy.

Same case here. If you need a new computer now, then get one- don't play the waiting game forever. :) This is the lesson that I have learned.

That said, I at this point in time would wait for the Intel Power Macs/Mac Pros to be released (unless you heavily use non-universal apps).

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
Lots of pros need new systems right now and can't wait till the end of the year to see what is going to come out. Plus most users don't follow the rumor sections every day to know that they might be out as soon as in August.

But besides that, the G5's are proven to work and are solid computers. Can't risk doing projects on an Intel with software and plug-in's that aren't universely converted yet.

I just bought a G5 second hand. Though I was ready to buy the Intel Powermac the day it came out, I am going to wait now until Adobe CS3 and Leopard have both been shipped..and hopefully I'll have the money for it :rolleyes:

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
drbrog said:
Why would anyone spend $3000 on a new powermac G5 when the intel versions are just around the corner...

I did not realize that 5-6 months was right around the corner in the computer world:D

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
I suppose that if you use software that is already established for the PPC Mac system, you will be in good shape.

The disadvantages could lie in moving to newer software (or newer versions of software) that are developed only for the Intel version of OS X. I'm not aware of any current applications, but I can think of some prospective examples. Here is one. I do a fair amount of GIS work in my current position, and the two main GIS vendors, ESRI and Mapinfo, do not make products that run on OS X. In the future, if they decide to create OS X versions of their products, they may only choose to write a version that runs on the Intel version of OS X.

Gurutech

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2006
to OP...
Unlike some of the people in this forum..., many people are buying PowerMacs for their work, not to brag about it..

Peace

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
The majority of PowerMac buyers use them to generate income and in most cases, their investment pays for itself in productivity and reliability.

Even if their investment were to only have a useful life of three years,
they consider their money well spent.

The reality is that these computers are productive for many years later.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
eXan said:
G5s are very fast mahines and very expandable. iMac Core Duo might be faster than dual-core 2 GHz G5, but can you put that much RAM, a second HD, an awesome graphics card it it? Can you connect a lot of monitors to it? No. So, PowerMacs beat iMacs in functionality in the low-end, and are also faster in the mid-high-end versions.

BTW my dad bought DC 2.3 not long ago and he's happy with it :)

Yup, when I bought my powermac I could have gotten a similary speced g5 iMac, but since picking it up I've added more ram, an aiport card & a second HD. Looking to add more ram and possibly a video card update this year as well.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
dornoforpyros said:
Yup, when I bought my powermac I could have gotten a similary speced g5 iMac, but since picking it up I've added more ram, an aiport card & a second HD. Looking to add more ram and possibly a video card update this year as well.

Yeah- I was tempted by the iMac Core Duo untilI saw the RAM limitations. 2.5? That's it? Not enough to be worth it in a year.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
timswim78 said:
I suppose that if you use software that is already established for the PPC Mac system, you will be in good shape.

The disadvantages could lie in moving to newer software (or newer versions of software) that are developed only for the Intel version of OS X. I'm not aware of any current applications, but I can think of some prospective examples. Here is one. I do a fair amount of GIS work in my current position, and the two main GIS vendors, ESRI and Mapinfo, do not make products that run on OS X. In the future, if they decide to create OS X versions of their products, they may only choose to write a version that runs on the Intel version of OS X.

IIRC, with the way Xcode is set up, it is currently impossible to create an intel-only app. In the future versions of Xcode it may be possible, but I would know of no reason why a company would cut off an entire architecture from using their app by un-checking a little box during the build process. Makes no sense.

The real reason universal binaries will go away is just simple economics. When demand is gone, supply will act accordingly.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
tuartboy said:
IIRC, with the way Xcode is set up, it is currently impossible to create an intel-only app.

If that were the case, why are there intel-only binaries of some apps out there?

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
for people making money

drbrog said:
Why would anyone spend $3000 on a new powermac G5 when the intel versions are just around the corner. I realize that Rev A may have glitches and non-universal software will run faster on a G5, but I can't imagine spending that kind of loot on a G5 now.
Apple should at least reduce the price of the G5s.

i run a video transfer/editing business. i'm doing ok with it and would probably do better, but i spend 70% of my day being a stay at home Dad.

i have G5 dual 2.0 and a dual g4 mdd 1.25. i'm watching the price of the G5s as another one would be fantastic to have. i could have 3 machines transferring, editing and burning DVDs, all at once, thus increasing my sales. both of my current macs were paid off within half a year.

g5s are great and they will last a long time. my g4, God bless its soul has been functioning perfect for almost 4 years :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.