Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steviem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
I'm just wondering this, as although I love OSX and my iPhone, sometimes I feel like I'm entrusting Apple with too much (and my inner sysadmin/open source person is crying out).

The other thing is I have a Dell server/desktop computer that I'm running OSX on and although it runs pretty well and I bought Leopard for it, I feel slightly guilty when I use it.

The main thing holding me back is my iPhone at the moment. I can install ubuntu onto my MacBook until I get an NC10 or something similar, but whilst I have an iPhone and am unable to get it to sync with Songbird or anything in Linux, I'm not changing.

If I change to something like an HTC Magic (or anything running Android) I won't have to re encode my movies or tv to mp4, but I don't know of any programs like iTunes for video management, and I like the way that it knows what I haven't watched yet.

I would also get a couple of eeeBoxes, one for the living room and another for my car, and find a way to have the phone control them.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
You have to entrust somebody with stuff at some point. Be it a large group of random people that make the Linux distro, or a large group of random people that make OS X. Sure it's open source but are you actually going to read it all to make sure it's trustworthy?

I guess I don't understand what's wrong with trusting one over the other. And what are you trusting them with?

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
You have to entrust somebody with stuff at some point. Be it a large group of random people that make the Linux distro, or a large group of random people that make OS X. Sure it's open source but are you actually going to read it all to make sure it's trustworthy?

I guess I don't understand what's wrong with trusting one over the other. And what are you trusting them with?

Considering a Samsung I7500 right now. I was considering a Treo Pro mainly because of the keyboard - but my girlfriend asked "Do you really need a keyboard?" While it would be nice, the Samsung 5MP with Flash sounds better hardware wise. I just wished Android had a file browser and could download any file type.

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2007
Considering a Samsung I7500 right now. I was considering a Treo Pro mainly because of the keyboard - but my girlfriend asked "Do you really need a keyboard?" While it would be nice, the Samsung 5MP with Flash sounds better hardware wise. I just wished Android had a file browser and could download any file type.

Other than the fact you said the word Android in your post, what does it have to do with the topic?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I've considered it...but honestly, the price of uploading all my iTunes music, the effort to load up Ubuntu to exactly as I like it, plus buy a new phone...its a lot of work, and I think the end result would be a computer experience worse then the current one I have.

Another big thing is, I've become much better with OS X then I have ever been with any distro of Linux(or Windows for that matter)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.