Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KojiH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
As a long time watch collector I am not ready to give up my collection of traditional mechanical wristwatches just because of the arrival of the Apple Watch. I still value the fine art and skill of traditional mechanical watchmaking and plan to continue to wear them along WITH the Apple Watch.

I've seen some threads here where people caution against being "THAT person" who wears a watches on both wrists.

So here's my solution to the dilemma:

17855778904_1f88303933_c.jpg

18290616278_890f2f0b50_c.jpg

I'm going to wear the Apple Watch with the case facing down and have installed an aftermarket polished tungsten bracelet onto the Apple Watch to dress it up and make it look more like a jewelry piece rather than just a watch. I was always someone who used to wear a bracelet on my right wrist that would match the watch that I was wearing on the left. So the Apple Watch has now displaced my collection of bracelets.

I was curious if there were any other traditional watch enthusiasts here who have chosen to "double wrist" it.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
I do what I want and don't care what others think...that's just me. I wouldn't wear two watches at the same time even if I had more money than I could handle and they were diamond encrusted rolexes...but everybody's different. If you're happy and you like it then do it...just be prepared for people to ask "why" and have some people unfairly judge you even if you're a great person because most people are judgemental. I was looking at getting a gold citizen-eco drive or an Apple Watch with a milanese loop but this is making my decision even harder. I only want one watch but I can't decide.

anez

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
I was actually giving this some consideration earlier today since I feel really guilty and wasteful not wearing my traditional watches, none of which have so much as touched my wrist since April 24.

I feel your band in particular lends itself really well to being worn this way-- though really, I couldn't give a monkey's if others think I look like a tool. I would, however, be concerned about incurring damage from wearing my Watch face down. Both the SS and the Sport have been shown to take damage when dragged against rough surfaces, so that rules out anything from desk jockeying to manual labor. If I were going to do this, I think I'd want the dreaded case and screen protector.

KojiH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I was actually giving this some consideration earlier today since I feel really guilty and wasteful not wearing my traditional watches, none of which have so much as touched my wrist since April 24.

I feel your band in particular lends itself really well to being worn this way-- though really, I couldn't give a monkey's if others think I look like a tool. I would, however, be concerned about incurring damage from wearing my Watch face down. Both the SS and the Sport have been shown to take damage when dragged against rough surfaces, so that rules out anything from desk jockeying to manual labor. If I were going to do this, I think I'd want the dreaded case and screen protector.

That was a concern for me as well in light of the many damaged Watch threads that I've seen here. I do have a couple of different cases en route already including the Orzly InvisiCase. But the reality is that the Watch's crystal is sapphire and therefore very unlikely to incur any desk scuffs.

KojiH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
KojiH while i'm here how are the eco-drive models? Can get a really nice one for a lot less than i'd pay for an apple watch and was looking at something like this.

http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-us/watches/watch-detail/?model=AW1422-50E
I own two EcoDrive watches. An "Eco Zilla" dive watch that I've installed an aftermarket lug converter and bracelet combination from StevRal/SuppaParts and a Citizen EcoDrive Minute Repeater dress watch that I purchased to wear at my wedding many years ago.

I've been very happy with both.

The only thing I'd be wary of is the gold plating. I dislike any sort of plating as it can and will eventually wear through to the bare steel underneath. Plus bare steel is much easier to refinish on your own at home.

You might want to check Jomashop or Amazon for prices.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
Ok. Thank you very much for the info! I'm going to look around for a few days. I'd like to visit a store and see the models for myself before I order online. Would you mind if I PM you sometime before I purchase the watch? I won't take up any of your time.

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
I just want to know where you got that Tungsten band and how much it cost! That looks great!

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Someone must explain to me the fascination with mechanical watches. I read some NY Times article about them vs. smartwatches, namely the Apple Watch, and I couldn't understand how people could be that enthralled about all those tiny gears doing something that computers easily do nowadays.

Maybe it's one of those things I don't get since I'm not mechanically inclined. I get how a few things work mechanically and can fix them, especially when you're just throwing physics in there. But I have never gotten into how cars work aside from wondering why they aren't all electric now just having a taste of them with my Prius. In that article people were talking about putting Fitbit-like sensors in those really expensive handmade watches and I couldn't understand why someone would do that.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
When I run or do indoor cardio I also wear my Garmin 620. No problem running however I do feel a little self-concuss in the gym with 2 on.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Could've sworn I read that the apple watch doesn't work properly if worn on the underside of your wrist?
Not sure where you read this but is possible that the algorithms for the accelerometer could be less accurate. Other than that I don't see any technical reason.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
This is why I was hoping for an Apple watch that looks more like a Fitbit than a watch.

I like traditional watches much more than the Apple watch, although the AW may become indispensable kn a few years

Reactions: ebika and Brdl04

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
Great pic, I think it looks fine, and kind of classy, especially with the high end watch and a nice band on the Apple Watch.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
FWIW, I tried the OP's setup for all of two minutes.

The Apple watch continually caught on my laptop edge, trackpad edge, desk edge, keyboard and mouse. And it's downward pointing face dragged noisily over my desk when moving the mouse around. Both the desk and watch would get scratched up.

Pity really.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Not sure where you read this but is possible that the algorithms for the accelerometer could be less accurate. Other than that I don't see any technical reason.

No, he's correct.

It's in the manual. Apple watch must be work on top of the wrist for sensors to work. Chapter 12, page 57.

"In addition, the sensors will work only when you wear Apple Watch on the top of your wrist."

I did this (Omega on the left, plastic original Pebble on the right) for a day under long sleeves just to see if I could live with the Pebble. That Pebble is still in a drawer somewhere. I can understand how you feel, I have an auto winder loaded with high end Swiss timepieces and also feel a little bad I'm not using them, but not bad enough to do what you're doing.

It's either a new chapter or in six months there may be some reason to go back. The watches aren't fruit, they'll be around long after.

vanilla.coffee

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2013
UK
I wear my Apple watch on my left wrist and a conventional watch on my right.

Guy came up to me the other day and asked why I had two watches on. Said I looked like a tool.
I responded by asking him why he had his jeans so low he was revealing a vast amount of his underwear?
I would venture to suggest he looked more of a tool than I did.

Who cares anyway? Be you, don't pander to what others might think.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013

Guy came up to me the other day and asked why I had two watches on. Said I looked like a tool.
I responded by asking him why he had his jeans so low he was revealing a vast amount of his underwear?

Why don't we all just walk around in pajamas?
After all, nobody should ever care about what others think, because we are all bad asses here.

Reactions: Banich2

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007

They are going to think you're a belieber
http://www.disneydreaming.com/2013/...watches-while-out-shopping-in-london-england/

Justin-Bieber-Two-Watches.jpg

But you don't care right? :)

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
that looks pretty silly to me. never even occured to me someone would do that lol but to each their own :)

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
It might work if you add some additional jewelry to your apple watch wrist. Enjoy your gear however you like though.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
As a long time watch collector I am not ready to give up my collection of traditional mechanical wristwatches just because of the arrival of the Apple Watch. I still value the fine art and skill of traditional mechanical watchmaking and plan to continue to wear them along WITH the Apple Watch.

I've seen some threads here where people caution against being "THAT person" who wears a watches on both wrists.

So here's my solution to the dilemma:

17855778904_1f88303933_c.jpg

18290616278_890f2f0b50_c.jpg

I'm going to wear the Apple Watch with the case facing down and have installed an aftermarket polished tungsten bracelet onto the Apple Watch to dress it up and make it look more like a jewelry piece rather than just a watch. I was always someone who used to wear a bracelet on my right wrist that would match the watch that I was wearing on the left. So the Apple Watch has now displaced my collection of bracelets.

I was curious if there were any other traditional watch enthusiasts here who have chosen to "double wrist" it.
You're still one of those people you're just more annoying because you have to turn your wrist a silly way to see your watch.

Reactions: DDustiNN
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.