Is anyone else experiencing sound problems with Quicktime?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by coldjeanzzz, Oct 12, 2013.

1. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

Nov 4, 2012
    Any video I play through Quicktime has a static sound sustained throughout the entire video any time there is audio. I tried VLC player, iTunes, youtube all of these work fine. I did a SMC and PRAM reset but it didn't help.
  2. coldjeanzzz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 4, 2012
  3. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Dec 21, 2011
    I don't think I've used QT since 2009. For the very reasons you cite today.
  4. coldjeanzzz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 4, 2012
    Unfortunately it's rather unavoidable on certain sites, like streaming Apple's Live Events. The sound problem occurs with the Quicktime app and online
  5. cal6n, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

cal6n macrumors 68000

Jul 25, 2004
    Gloucester, UK
    Yeah. I'm seeing it flipping between HD and non-HD streams. Unfortunately, they're not synced so they appear to jump and/or repeat.

This is through safari on both the Mac and the iPad.

*edit* Looks like they're pretty much in sync now. (7 pm UK time)

*edit* Oops. Spoke too soon...
  6. coldjeanzzz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 4, 2012
    I wish someone could just tell me if this is happening to them, it's driving me insane. It was doing it on the GM release, I upgraded to official release and it seemed to be fixed, but I started watching a video a few days later and after pausing the video and unpausing it the problem came back. I would normally just avoid using Quicktime but there are certain websites with embedded video (like Keynotes) that utilize Quicktime and it does on there too.

I reported it as a bug to Apple, but I have no idea if this is a widespread problem on Mavericks since no one is saying anything.
  7. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Jun 15, 2012
    Yes. I get it too. QT Player X has static. QT 7 and iTunes do not.

I reported it in the Preview phase, so we'll see if it gets addressed.