Is anyone else getting really off heart beat readings from their watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Jacoblee23, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 65816

My watch will randomly spike up to numbers like 187 whenever I’m not doing anything strenuous. I have adjusted it and I am still getting readings that aren’t correct and I am not feeling bad or having any symptoms. I know my heart rate does not get that high. It will usually have one peek like that throughout the day and the rest will be more normal. I do take medicine for sinus tachycardia but the max it has ever gotten was 120 (read in doctors office) and I felt really sluggish and could feel my heart beating fast. Has anyone had strange readings like this? It happens almost every day.

2. Dobbel macrumors newbie

It does happen when the strap is too loose and “stray light” peeps under the watch.

Try making the strap tighter and let us know

3. TechDiva macrumors 6502

TechDiva

I’ve been noticing that as well. I have an AW3 and have had it since Oct. 2017. It seems like they didn’t start until about 2 watch os updates ago (not the last one but the one before that).

4. Beards macrumors 6502a

Beards

I have noticed recently my ‘HeartWatch’ app notifying me when it picks up a low heartrate under 45bpm. Under normal circumstances my resting rate is 55-60bpm.
    I never wear my watch loose so always assumed it is either an issue with the watch/software or me.
    Until today I always thought it was I.
    However, after reading this topic maybe that is now not the case.

5. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

This has happened on my S2 since the beginning. I just chalk it up to how Apple handles "rouge" readings. I think Apple just takes every reading as is and doesn't attempt any filtering of obviously bad data. No big deal as they're easy to find and delete (for the OCD types among us).

Just note that I've experienced this type of bad data with every HRM I've owned, which is 3. I've owned 2 different Polar HR Straps and the Apple Watch. All have typically recorded inaccurate data randomly. It's more of a nuisance on the Polar straps as they record 6 readings per second, so if you wanted to delete a second of bad data, you have to delete six readings.