Is anyone else going to miss the battery indicator lights?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lulla01, Jun 13, 2012.

1. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I missed them on my air and I'll miss them on the rMBP I was excited to get them back but they're not on there. ... :(

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You'll still be able to see battery status on your Menu Bar.

3. TheHoff macrumors 6502

4. lulla01 thread starter macrumors 68020

lulla01

I'm aware of that, I liked being able to just click the button if my laptop was closed and check.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

they're great to use though when you don't want to open your laptop to see where the battery is out while you're out. i miss it on my air since it'd let me gauge if i needed to bring my charger with me or not.

6. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

I too will miss them. it was nice to be able to check if it needed a charge without pulling it out and turning it on.

7. Adamantoise, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

You don't have to buy the Retina.

You could always buy the legacy models.

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

9. zurichuk macrumors regular

Considering it was around 18 months before I noticed them on my existing MBP, erm, no.

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The nicest thing was seeing them light up when you connected and disconnected the magsafe. Never even had to open the screen if you were just taking it out of your bag and putting it on charge.

The new machines should wake up from sleep pretty quickly though so that's less of an inconvenience.

11. lulla01 thread starter macrumors 68020

lulla01

Its still on the regular MacBook pro I just checked

12. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

In 5 years I've never used the indicator. This thread actually reminded it was there.

Of all the crap to complain about, how about the fact you won't be able to upgrade your macs one day?

13. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Advice like this is basically never useful, because it ignores the fact that there are reasons to prefer the Retina.

FWIW, I personally don't much care about the battery lights, but I liked them as a matter of principle, and I hate seeing features removed left and right.

14. northernpaul macrumors member

Little things like this are what IMO set the Mac apart.

Another 2 small things I'll miss:-
    1) IR port for Apple remote
    2) Kensington lock slot

All small things, but annoying nonetheless..

15. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I liked that as well. I miss it on my MBA and I'll miss it on the new MBP.

----------

I think the indicator lights are something worth complaining about. The computer I've specced will meet my needs for the time that I am planning to use it. I'll then sell it and buy a new one. I've upgraded my Mini and MBP in the past, but I don't feel the need to do this on my MBA, hence why I know I won't feel the need with the new MBP. I am comfortable with this.

16. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

wait... those got removed as-well k than i am definitely not upgrading in the near future, having the lock slot is a must in some places... and the battery indicator is a nice gimmick to have.

17. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Not to be rude but that's just inane babble.

There are reasons to prefer any model over the other. In this case, battery indicator lights are a reason to prefer the legacy over the retina model.

Some people want a stock Ethernet port and that is a reason to prefer the legacy over the retina.

My advice was straightforward ... You have options, no one is forcing you to buy a retina model. Make a list of pros and cons and buy the device that comes out on top.

18. lulla01 thread starter macrumors 68020

lulla01

This isn't an advice thread, I asked if anyone was going to miss the indicator not about your advice or about pros and cons. The indicator isn't a deal breaker it's just something I liked that the MacBook pro line had over the air and the fact that the retina model got rid of it just made me feel a slight disappointment, not enough where I'd bash the machine over it.

19. northernpaul macrumors member

I agree. It's an annoyance for me too, but certainly not a deal breaker

20. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

The missing light was a real dealbreaker for me... Not.

21. AirmanPika macrumors 6502

AirmanPika

You mean that button I sometimes hit by accident that showed me a bunch of green dots? Nah. I'm gonna miss the IR port because I used my apple remote to control music on my old macbook pro.

22. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Not sure why they didn't include it. Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to find a little space to incorporate it in. The unit itself is tiny.

Not a deal breaker, but definitely something they should have kept.

23. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Really? I think it's the completely unique hardware design and the Mac OS that sets Macs apart.

In fact, those two features you mentioned both existed on a generic plastic HP I owned some years ago. They're nothing unique.

24. Tech198 macrumors G4

Missing indicator battery lights on new Macbook Pro Retina ??

aww..

Its strange to see how the absent of these small things on the mac, that you used all the time, make a big difference upon these releases/updates. Easy to check to when the Mac is not on, and no adapter on hand, so while not a disappointment. Suppose it being "thinner" Apple couldn't fit it in..

Its not something that not prevent me from buying just "because of this", but its a feature i'll miss.

The nay thing now, i'm currently deciding is screen display vs weight ? e.g. new Air or Retina. As the Air looks even more interesting now. :D

25. d0vr macrumors 6502a

Haha, those two things are the exact two things I couldn't give a toss about. The remote always opened up that DVD app when someone was using an Apple TV near me.

The battery indicator is a shame though, I use it every day. I'm also a little confused about why line is is gone. Has that just been incorporated into the headphone socket like on an iDevice? And you would just use a splitter if you needed both line in and out?