Is Anyone Else Having FaceTime Issues on New iPhones? (8 Plus and X)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghsNick, Nov 18, 2017.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68030

ghsNick

I know this is really strange, but I can only point it out to the new iPhone’s (8 Plus and X) that my wife and I got.

Whenever we attempt or receive a FaceTime Video, we can see the other person just fine...but they cannot see us or we’re frozen. This only happens when connected to Wi-Fi (at our house) but our old iPhones worked perfectly on our Wi-Fi for the past 3 years.

The other strange this is after 2-3 FaceTime video attempts, everything resolves itself and works perfectly.

Part of me wants to blame the Wi-Fi, but we have 100/100 internet and it worked perfectly before the new iPhones. Is anyone else having issues on a Wi-Fi?

2. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

As a test, turn off WIFI on BOTH devices, and test Face Time. Once done, post the results.
    If the feature is still the same over cellular, then the issue isn't the WIFI.

But, in answer to your original question, I've not had issues on my iPhone 8 Plus or iPhone X...

3. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68030

ghsNick

They work on cellular just fine...but I also have an iMac (2015) and the FaceTime works perfectly over Wi-Fi.

I truly don’t know if it’s the Wi-Fi or the new phones (or iOS).

4. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

On both smartphones, turn off FaceTime, perform a reset (not factory reset). Then turn FaceTime back on.
    Once done, test FaceTime again.

Failing the above, reboot the router. Even more so if it is Comcast. I wonder if the IPv6, is causing an issue...

5. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

As much as I can, I turn IPv6 off. It's still not needed yet, especially if you are hiding behind a NATed router, like most people. There is no reason to run IPv6 in a home environment. It is odd that Facetime isn't working well on their wifi. I'd recommend checking for updates to the firmware, and check the logs, if any, to see if there are any crumbs left when they try Facetime. We upgraded our network to gigabit, and it's helped on some things. The real choke point, obviously, is getting out/in on the internet.