Is anyone else having iMessage issues?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by squidkitten, Sep 21, 2014.

1. squidkitten macrumors 6502

squidkitten

My friends and I are all on iOS 8 and we're having issues where someone will respond in the same chat we've had for months and it will create a new chat for everyone else. New chats are constantly created for seemingly no reason whatsoever and we all have like 5 or 6 different group conversation windows between all of us no matter how many times we delete or coordinate to where we're only using the same one.

I'm also having issues where certain chat windows only allow me to send messages as texts. Everyone in whichever group it decides to do it to has an iPhone and I'm on wifi every time. It's just really annoying because the only solution is to delete the chat completely which is a bummer because the conversations I had had been open for months and had lots of great photos in the details sections.

2. squidkitten thread starter macrumors 6502

squidkitten

Also if it helps I've noticed that the issue may be caused by the fact that while all of us are on iOS 8, two of us are on Yosemite beta and one is on Mavericks and the switching seems to occur when we switch between computers and phones.

3. goonie4life9 macrumors regular

I have had this issue since iOS 7. I have been in contact with Apple for months about it. I didn't hear anything for a few months then on Friday I got a call from Apple, asking if I was still experiencing it on iOS 8 (I am). The gentleman I spoke to said he would let engineering know, so hopefully I'll hear back this week.

The interesting thing is that on my Mac, the conversation always stays in one thread (as it should). I'm guessing iOS treats an e-mail address and a phone number for the same contact as separate "people" and starts a new thread (but OS X treats them, as it should, as the same contact). Sending a message from my phone number to my e-mail address always creates a separate thread but it also happens, intermittently, when the to/from addresses stay the same (from my phone number to my phone number or from my phone number to another person's phone number or e-mail address and that person responds from The same phone number or e-mail address that I sent the message to).

4. squidkitten thread starter macrumors 6502

squidkitten

Same here! Everything always shows up in one window on my Mac. Actually this has been happening to my friends for days now but it only has just started happening to me today with my iPhone 6.

----------

From what I gather this affecting me and my friends because of our differing OS between our machines, so hopefully Yosemite's public release is gonna fix it.