Is anyone else not recieving calls?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mets1125, Dec 10, 2007.

1. mets1125 macrumors regular

Sometimes I wont recieve calls and it will go straight to voicemail. Is anyone else having this problem? Does it happen because I am on safari or youtube? TIA

2. mets1125 thread starter macrumors regular

3. m477h3w macrumors 6502

If you are browsing over EDGE or GPRS then you cannot receive calls. Over WIFI you can, so I assume this is your problem? That is one of the reasons a lot of people want to see a 3G iPhone, as you can browse over 3G without missing calls. Hope this helps,

M

4. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

this is normal if you're using your edge connection to download data (in safari, youtube, mail, etc.).

it's a bit inconvenient, but unavoidable given how edge works. it may be implemented differently in other countries to allow calls to come through as well while data is being used, but not on at&t's network. i think 3G more easily allows data and calls at the same time - that's one thing to look forward to with a 3g iphone in the future...

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

unfortunately, it's a limitation of EDGE. If you are actively sending or receiving data at the time a call comes through, it may go through to your answer machine

6. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

so if my email was being checked at the time then my calls will be forwarded? This explains why some calls have failed to come thro.

But if I'm on GPRS then calls will still come through right?

7. mets1125 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everybody I just wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong.

8. memesmith macrumors regular

No. If you are downloading data, on either GPRS or EDGE, then voice calls will be directed straight to voicemail.

9. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

thats a bit rubbish.would be nice if my phone at least told me someone had tried to call.

Is there a way to get visual voicemail working on a sim unlocked(o2 only) 1.1.2 uk iPhone?

10. memesmith macrumors regular

That's why people want a 3G iPhone.

Yes!

Be a good boy, relock and get yourself an O2 iPhone exclusive contract, from only £35per month!