iPad mini Is anyone else planning to use their iPad mini for a portable gaming device?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jacoblee23, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

I was shocked to see how great it runs games. I will be selling my Vita ( I haven't played it in months) and use my mini for my portable gaming needs. I like it better than my iPad 3 for gaming, because it is far more comfortable to hold for long periods of time. Crazy taxi plays like a dream on it.

2. SunnyStudioNeo macrumors regular

Yup iPad is too big and heavy when holding for a long time; iPad Mini is just perfect.

3. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I haven't did much gaming on my iPad 3 because of the weight. . Any games you recommend? I'm new to the this loll.

4. dare69 macrumors member

The iPad 3 is way too heavy as a gaming device, and I love Real Racing 2 on it, but holding the Ipad as a steering wheel gets to be hard work quickly. I don't have a mini, but I do have an iPhone 5, and in comparison, the Vita wins hands down as a real gaming device. You can't beat an actual joystick for playing games!

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That is crazy. I have no issues doing racing games on the 4. I actually like it better. Obviously it will be different for everyone.

6. blerns3 macrumors 6502

Anyone have a short list of their favorite games for iPad mini? I want to try some out.

7. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Crazy taxi! Also, he-man is a blast and only .99 cents. Grand theft auto 3, family feud (free) Sims free play (free) and order-up (free).

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

GTA 3, although vice city is coming soon and need 4 speed most wanted is a blast

----------

I use to love crazy taxi. Gonna have to check that out.

9. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

So true. The ipad mini is the perfect size for ios gaming. In my experience the ipod touch is just too small and the ipad 3 was just too heavy. The mini is the perfect size and action games like He-Man and Random Heroes play great on it. My main issue with the ipad mini is not the screen but the lack of true stereo sound placement.

10. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

I just can't understand how people would actually want to use an iDevice as a gaming machine.
    Sure, the games are cheaper, but the touch controls are generally terrible compared to physical controls, and they lack depth.

You can spend money on whatever you want, I suppose.

11. blerns3 macrumors 6502

12. Noisemaker Guest

Obviously you haven't tried many Gameloft games. :rolleyes:

On topic, I'll be using both my Mini and iPad 4 for gaming. The 4 is getting the retina enabled games, and the Mini is getting the non-retina.

13. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

True... but no portable system i know offers quick access (plus instant start up) of a plethora of games.

You do loose in depth gameplay (I have a vita that
    I enjoy) but ios games satisfiies my instant gratification needs.

14. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

You know what they say, quality over quantity.

If only Vita memory cards weren't so ridiculously expensive (or just microSD)

15. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

Used to own a gen 1 iPad, loved, loved playing games on it. Even at home although I have a PS3, the iPad was what I grabbed when I wanted to play a game (quite often, not always).

Now I have the mini, it's all the iPad gen 1 was with games, and so much more. The games I used to enjoy are just as enjoyable on the mini, but additionally, the size of the mini is for me ideal, so some of the games are just that much more manageable. I can hold the device in one hand (easily) and touch/play with the other, or I can use both hands and touch all areas of the screen.

While I would never say a full sized tablet is wrong, especially for game play, for me the mini is the bee's knees!

16. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Ipad Mini, iPad 3, iPhone 5; whatever I have on me I am playing Letterpress:D. Im addicted:cool:.

17. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

I hit my Ipad 2 to table edge when playing Azphalt heat, good thing i have the moshi concerti on. Ipad 9.7 is little too big and heavy for gaming agree, Ipad 2 is already too heavy let alone Ipad 3.

Ipad mini seems like a perfect size but at 329 for gaming only? little too steep, i think. My alternative is New Ipod touch cause i can bring to work and listen to music as well but!!! it is starting at 299 or mini seems like better choice for the price. Or maybe Ipod touch 4 can do....

18. TJ5921 macrumors regular

I would also like a list of games that will also work with my iPhone 5 as well as my mini when I receive it. I have FIfa 13 and it's a blast! Can't wait to play on the mini, I also noticed there is a mode where I will be able to use my iPhone as the controller while playing on the mini!

19. SunnyStudioNeo macrumors regular

- Kingdom Rush
    - Angry Birds (for sure)
    - Roads Of Roam
    - Fruit Ninja
    - Plant vs Zombies

Most of them has free versions so you can try out. Good luck!

20. ahhboi macrumors regular

Me too! Mind recommending some "powerful" retina enabled games?

21. Noisemaker Guest

NOVA 3, Modern Combat 3, Dead Space, Mass Effect: Infiltrator, Shadowgun, Bastion, and Infinity Blade II spring to mind.