Is anyone else REALLY impressed with the MBP speakers?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DoNoHarm, Nov 9, 2008.

1. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

So i bought a MBP Classic last month and I've found that I no longer plug in my Altec Lansing speakers (~300 watt system, with subwoofer). The MBP speakers aren't as good as the Altec Lansing speakers, obviously, but they are really, really good for laptop speakers. I guess I'm just used to PC laptops with really sh*tty speakers.

I'm considering storing the dedicated speakers until I need to play music for a party or something. Has anyone else actually gone through this same process? :D

2. kousuke18 macrumors regular

I have never heard the sound quality of other laptops but i can say that the mbp speakers are magnitudes better than the old macbooks (not unibody mb). They don't sound shockingly good but they are "acceptable" for laptop speakers.

3. 7even macrumors 6502a

The new MBP's speakers impressed the hell out of me. Definitely adequate for light music listening. Not sure about the older models though..

4. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

they are the best laptop speakers ive heard, but they still dont have reall bass, apple still says they have "subwoofers" inside lol :confused:

5. honestaeb macrumors newbie

Agreed. I have been impressed with Powerbook/Macbook Pro speakers since I first heard them in 2003. The iBook/Macbook speakers, on the other hand...

6. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

uh, theyre pretty good for laptop speakers but they still dont compare to a 2.1 system..

7. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

I haven't heard the Unibody ones, but in my MBP, for anything except podcast spoken word listening, they're useless. They're nice and loud in those situations, so that's handy if I'm ever away from my speakers and want to catch up on the endless list of podcasts I subscribe to. For music though, there's SO little low end information that it's often difficult to hear the bass instrument at all, even the higher order harmonics they produce.

I'll stick to my monitors. :p

8. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Compared to my MB white I got just over a year ago, it's Hi-Fi versus Alarm Clock speakers.

9. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

It's wierd that I had the exact same experience with the pretty much same equipment (MBP classic, 300W Lansings).

Crystal clear sound with decent bass.

10. Apple addict macrumors member

The speakers sound good. They don't have a strong bass sound but are more than adequate for music when I am mobile.

Gary

11. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Geez...these Altecs you're talking about must be pretty crap if you prefer using the built-in speakers.

12. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

MBs (not Alu) have terrible speakers, 15inchMBPs have decent laptop speakers, but the 17inch MBP has the best laptop speakers I've heard, far surpasses all Dells, Toshibas and even Alienware's I've heard at school; very loud and clear, a set of 20$ speakers will beat them but for the size and being built-in they're awesome. Odd thing that you wish to use the MBP ones instead of the Altecs, for mobile use they're pretty good but at home? nu uh.

Victor

13. loganpyle macrumors member

they definitely impressed me! i was used to my dell inspiron from summer '06, and it had awful sound. the new mbp blew me away. it's just a shame that i'm waiting for apple to send me my replacement, so i can hear those wonderful speakers again :(

14. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

You listen to a song using my mbp speakers and then listen to the same song on my wife's Dell laptop and its night and day. For what I need those mbp speakers for they are very good.

15. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

No no! The speakers are really, really good. And just to be clear the MBP cannot compare in terms of volume or clarity, but I think they are "good enough".... Also, I am in a bit of a minimalist phase, getting rid of whatever I can to clear up space in my room.

BTW, if anyone is interested, here's the listing:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/sys/912515893.html

16. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

are u from uc davis

17. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

I think Dell is Apple's best sales force.

18. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I agree with what somebody else has already said here. The MBP speakers are so much better than the old MB speakers were.

19. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

The 17" MBP has twice as many cones as the 15" MBP, so you'd better believe it's nicer :)

Even at home, I don't ever plug in speakers to my laptop, but that's mostly because I use the laptop on the couch.

20. cshen macrumors newbie

The speakers on new unibody MBP are way louder than the previous ones