Is anyone else still using a 3G and waiting for the next iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lukefinch, Sep 7, 2010.

?

Where do you stand?

1. I'm still using the origianl iPhone!

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. I'm still using my 3G and i'm waiting for the next iPhone

13 vote(s)
    20.6%
  3. I upgraded to or bought the 3Gs

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. I upgraded to or bought the 3Gs then the iPhone 4

11 vote(s)
    17.5%
  5. I just upgraded to or bought the iPhone 4

33 vote(s)
    52.4%
  1. lukefinch macrumors 6502

lukefinch

I was thinking about this earlier and it cannot just be me who is still using an iPhone 3G and has not updated to either of the latest models.

I am still using my iPhone 3G as the 3GS wasn't a big enough upgrade to warrant the amount it cost and as for the iPhone 4, on principle, i will not buy one of the most expensive phones in the world if it doesn't work 100% like it should do e.g signal loss, proximity sensor etc.

So has anyone else thought the same and is now waiting for the next iPhone?

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You don't know what you're missing. I went from the 3G to the iP4 and I can't believe how good the phone is (even with the issues).

3. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Well I'm currently in line at my local Apple store trying to buy a 4...

4. lukefinch thread starter macrumors 6502

lukefinch

I do know, i've used them multiple times at the apple store, HMV, phone shops etc. It is undeniabley good, a lot faster and the camera's are great, but i will not pay 500 pounds for a phone that doesn't work as it really should.

5. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I had a 3G and I got the iPhone 4, I have decided to upgrade every other year so I'll (try) skip the iPhone 5 and get the iPhone 6 etc.

If you got an 3G I would say buy an iPhone 4, this thing is AMAZING!

6. benoitgphoto macrumors 6502

I just upgraded to the iP4 and couldn't be happier. It's far better than the 3G. And as far as the antenna, it's so a minor issue IMO. I ordered the free bumper and using the bumper itself caused me more issues than the antenna signal attenuation. With the bumper, my car holder, the iP4 dock and my belt case don't fit anymore and I have to change all of them and not using the dock.:(

As for the proximity sensor and other publicized issues (bluetooth, white balance) I've never experienced any of them. My reco...GO and by the iP4, you won't be disappointed.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, it works better than your 3G. I'd say that's worth it. I know it was for me.

8. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I just bought the iphone 4. I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever (or problems calling anyone or even with the proximity sensor).

You couldn't pay me to go back to the 3G (Even if I lost my iphone 4 I can't afford another one so I'd buy a used 3GS and really miss my 4. I suppose if I kept my 3G I'd go back to it cause of budget concerns but I sold it).

9. xenuprime macrumors 6502

I am using my 3g (with 3.1.3) until the white ip4 comes out. If it doesn't come until November, I might just wait for the 4gs or whatever it will be called.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Sorry to hear that. On the other hand, mine work as it should, so I'm quite happy.

11. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

Still using 3G here. If the white iPhone 4 came out, I would have one. Now I don't even care so much. My 3G still functions. If the white iPhone 4 does come out, I'll probably still get it. If it doesn't, I'll probably just wait for the next iPhone.

12. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I'm still using my 3G and it's fine for me. I have a hard time justifying replacing something that works just as good as the day I bought it (hardware wise). Sure, it's slowed a bit with the software updates, but those have also brought more options and features. I'm running 4.1 right now and it's much improved over 4.0, back to iOS 3 speeds.

I used to be the type that needed the latest and greatest but that gets expensive and I found I was never really satisfied with anything I had, was always looking toward the next big thing.

When I think about how this phone has changed my life, it's hard to imagine even an upgrade to the iPhone 4 making as much of an impact.

13. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Gave my 3G to my wife and got the iPhone 4.
    What an upgrade, it´s so much faster and better in everyway.
    My wife prefere her original iPhone to the 3G, feels very plastic she says.
    I have to agree, 3G and 3Gs is the worst design so far IMHO

14. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

er.. clearly you've missed the 101 threads about current 2G owners! Some people are still happy to keep rocking their 2007 phone.

Also I don't know if the whole "I wont pay £500 for a phone that doesn't work" washes with me. iPhones are expensive to begin with and every year there is always some android or Nokia device that has better camera or some other specs. So just on value alone it never makes sense to spend large amounts of money on a phone when there are other phones that offer better spec for cheaper. Of course we have to take into consideration other things such as style, design, innovation etc. Sure, the iPhone 4 may have its faults - but that doesn't mean every other phone on the market works perfectly either. At the time i bought my 2G phone, my younger brother laughed at me about how his Sony Ericsson had a 5 megapixel camera when mine only had a 2. I'm still using my 2G and any day i will unbox and start using my iPhone 4. iPhones will always have their issues, BUT every phone is an improvement over the previous whatever its faults.

15. err404 macrumors 68020

It really just boils down to whether you're still satisfied with the 3G. Personally, I wouldn't be. The 3G is past it's prime; you have to deal with worsening performance from each OS release or incompatibility from 3rd party apps if you stick wit iOS3. Basically your experience with the 3G is diminishing over time.
    If you've bought into the antenna issues on the iPhone4, we aren't going to change your mind. I would recommend jumping to Android.

16. icewing macrumors 6502

I've got to agree with others that posted here - I upgraded from a 3G to a 4, and am VERY satisfied. Yes, I occassionally have a little problem with the proximity sensor, looking forward to the firmware upgrade, but it hasn't really been an issue. As for the antenna, it's a complete non-issue, it was simply blown out of proportion. I've got Apple's bumper on mine and don't have an issue.

17. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I modified my car dock cable to use with my 3G and otterbox case so it needed no more modifications. It's amazing what a hacksaw and superglue will do :D