Home Is Anyone Else Waiting for the HomePod Mini?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by KittyKatta, Jun 14, 2017.

1. KittyKatta, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017

KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

I’m a heavy Siri user. And by that I mean, “If I know a command that Siri isn’t going to screw up then I would prefer to use Siri technology to get that task accomplished”.

That said, I don't care if Siri isn't as good as the competition. I just want a home device for accessing my Apple services and controlling my Smart Home stuff that I can control from across the room.

So. Is anyone else in the same boat and just wants a $120 cheap HomePod?

2. Alrescha macrumors 68020

I will not say that it could not happen, but given Apple's emphasis on sound quality I would not hold my breath. You generally do not get great sound from small devices (and from an audio perspective, the HomePod is already pretty small).

A.

3. KittyKatta, Jun 14, 2017

KittyKatta thread starter macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

But is Apples “We care about Music” message even legitimate? Or is it a misdirect to distract from Siri's shortcomings.

It wasn’t until very recently that MacBooks actually had passable speakers on them. And while my iPad Pro 9.7/12.9 speakers sound good enough, every iPad before these sound like garbage (and that includes the single speaker 2017 9.7”. Even with the iPhone then Apple was really late in getting their first Stereo Speakers on them.

If Apple wants to be the hub of Smart Homes then it would benefit them to make a cheaper entry point than $350.

4. Alrescha macrumors 68020

I think you just reinforced my point about small speakers. It is a miracle that Apple managed to get decent sound out of those small devices - at all. That they went to the effort to try should answer your question about whether they really care or not.

A.

5. KittyKatta thread starter macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Huh? Apple doesn't make the speakers. They make the decisions on which speakers to use. And the ones Apple has chosen in the past (and even in the present) are FAR from being the best quality/sound/size choices.

But I'm willing to back off on calling out Apple's speaker choices since I don't care and proving Apples legitimacy as a "Musicologist" wasn't the thread topic.

6. Alrescha, Jun 14, 2017

Alrescha macrumors 68020

That is only true if you think that the drivers are the speakers. The enclosures (which Apple certainly *does* make) and their design are just as important (if not more important). I think the improvement in iPad Pro sound quality comes entirely from the design of the iPad itself - not the drivers.

A.

7. huperniketes macrumors regular

huperniketes

I've never used it, but there's HomeBridge.