Is anyone else waiting this long...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by UberKyle, Feb 2, 2009.

1. UberKyle macrumors newbie

...to recieve their Mac?

I read the reports about iMacs being delayed on the front page, but I ordered a 15", 2.53gHz MBP on the 22nd of January - it is a special order with a 7200 RPM drive.

Originally it was supposed to arrive on the 7th of Feb.... I thought that was a long time. Then last week I recieved an automatic phone call from my certified apple reseller electronically announcing to me it wouldn't arrive until the 12th... I was crushed.

Then tonight, just minutes ago, I had another automated call telling me that my order will arrive on February 17th.

Will the madness never end?!

Has anyone else had similar problems. Should I have never ordered from a certified apple reseller?

The store is Nebraska Furniture Mart, and although it sounds hoky, it is a huge store in the midwest and has plenty of credibility.

They matched the student price, beat it by 50 bucks, and gave me 21 month no interest financing, it was a hard deal to pass up... considering the best financing apple offers is 90 days... what a joke. If I don't have 2500 bucks today, I'm definitely not going to have it in 3 months... I'll probably have less.

Anyway, I guess I'm just curious if anyone has had, or is having a similar experience? Is apple behind on orders after the holidays... has this new creator of light-weight unibody macbooks gone on the fritz? Did iLife '09 get pre-installed on my computer and melt it's face? Someone please tell me... is everything going to be ok?!

The good news is my 21 months of no interest financing doesn't start until they put the computer in my hands!

Oh yeah, and do you think my computer will come with iLife '09 and that has been part of my waiting process, or will I still have to go drop an extra 10 bucks (or make Nebraska Furniture Mart give it to me for free, for making me wait.... and a copy of final cut studio 2).

Thanks in advance for the thought provoking and educational education that will most certainly ensue as I painstakingly count down to the next... "Your deliverty status 4-2-1-5-7-7-2-5 has been delayed. It will now arrive, When-Pigs-Fly."

2. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

A month to get the computer sounds a little long, even if it is BTO. Perhaps it would be wise to call up Customer Service and see what the hold up is? I've heard stories on other forums of people complaining about wait times, and being upgraded to free overnight shipping. It may be worth a try.

I know how killer these waits can be. When the 15" launched in late 2008, I killed myself trying to find one in the store. In fact, I would call every day. On two separate occasions, they told me they had them in stock when they really didn't. Not only did I waste a two hours driving back and forth each time, but having to wait for the computer was the worst.

Anyway, hope you get your machine soon.

3. UberKyle thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the worst part, is when I call customer service at Nebraska Furniture Mart (NFM), they are apologetic, but tell me they have no idea and they are just passing along information from apple, who is just telling them that the order is delayed without any extra info.

Which leads me to believe someone else here is also waiting this long... but if not - then my long wait is a by-product of ordering through NFM... and they are leaving me stuck in a glass case of emotion spoon feeding me lies.

The pain I feel makes me hope no one else is living through this damnation by the Apple gods... :apple: shakes fist toward the big monochromatic 2-D apple in the sky with a bite taken out of it :apple:... but secretly I hope I am not the only one being smoted... smited?... smote... for unknown reasons. If others are in the same boat on the River Styx, then just maybe there is a logical reason and I don't have to unleash mein führer... I mean, my fury on NFM...

4. unorthodx macrumors newbie

Ordered MBP on 23rd - still waiting...

I have ordered my 15" MBP (custom configuration) on Jan. 23 directly from Apple online store. It has been shipped on Feb. 2 (ships in 24 hours according to Apple store website). Shipment comes from Shanghai, China. Via Anchorage. To Chicago. Hope to get it on Feb.4 or Feb.5. Apparently, Apple has a serious backlog of orders.

5. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

Have you given any thought to canceling your order and just picking up a machine from a local Apple Store? Then, you could buy a 7,200 HDD and put it in yourself. That way, if you have any problems with the computer at a later date, you could just get it exchanged at the store and not have to send it in. It'll save you some time in the short-run, and possibly in the long-run.

6. UberKyle thread starter macrumors newbie

ahah... but yours did ship yesterday, which would be within the timeframe I was originally promised, but you ordered yours a day after I ordered mine!

If I can get a couple more of these anecdotes, then I will use them as fuel for the fire I'm gonna light under NFM to get me my macbookpro.

It benefits them because they get my money when I get my pro... but if I can squeeze something else out of them in the process for making me wait an unecessary amount of time, then so be it - I'll take a free copy of finalcut studio 2, no questions asked.... or a dollar.

7. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Even with the poor economy Apple's recent financials show that the laptops are selling like hotcakes.

8. UberKyle thread starter macrumors newbie

Indeed I have thought about canceling my order, but like I said, the deal I got was pretty unbeatable with the 21 month no interest financing. That means I just pay 100 bucks a month, rather than wait for 21months til I've saved 2100 bucks. My computer will be obsolete in 21 months and I'll start financing a new one ;).... kidding of course.

I'd rather not mess with installing my own HD either, and I got apple care protection - so I can take it in to an applestore if I want to anyway... once I get it.

9. UberKyle thread starter macrumors newbie

What is a hot cake, and why would I wait nearly a month to get one?

Wait, is it silver and have a monochrome 2-D apple with a bite taken out of it?! I'll take a dozen!

10. Nickisgodofmacs macrumors member

Nickisgodofmacs

I had the same thing with my macbook (early 2008). I bought through a reseller and got the spanish keyboard and was told i was going to have it within a week (ordered July 20ish) got it the week before school (August 20)

Just keep pushing, call everyday make them send emails.

11. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

Well, installing a HDD in the new models is now easier than ever, so that shouldn't be a deciding factor. And, even with Applecare, the Apple store can only do a select few repairs on your machine. For example, when I first got my new 15" MBP, I had a problem with overheating while gaming. They needed to send it in to replace the heat sink and logic board. When I got the computer back, it was scratched to hell. I called the store manager, explained the situation, and was given an appointment to get an exchange. Now, keep in mind this was after the 14 day exchange period. However, if I had a BTO machine, I would have had to send it in for an exchange, which would have taken more than a week or two. There are definitely advantages to installing the HDD yourself. Actually, you'll probably be saving yourself money, too. But, I'm a very impatient man.

But, if you can't swing it without the financing, I would just suck it up and wait. You don't want to get into a financial hole that you can't climb out of.

Just my two cents.

12. UberKyle thread starter macrumors newbie

Hooray!

So... I got my mac, TODAY, and I'm posting right now from it. Multi-touching like a mad man.

Just thought I'd update, and let you all congratulate me ;). I got an automated call saying my order was ready and I went and picked it up. I didn't ask any questions, I just took it and ran incase it was a mistake lol, but its exactly what I ordered and it got here before they originally said it would. Scared the bajeezus out of me for nothing. Thanks for you support during these trying times.

13. SummerBoy macrumors regular

SummerBoy

Are you on crack ?¿!,.(@

14. UberKyle thread starter macrumors newbie

Crack? Never.

Eccentric. Yes.

Creative writer.