Is Anyone Else's Dock Connector Cable Starting to Tear?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MICHAELSD, May 23, 2010.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I've had my iPhone 3GS since it was released. Today, I notice that the dock connector cable was starting to tear below the plastic and tube-shaped rubber. It's a very slight tear right now, but I could see another few weeks of using it until the next iPhone is released ruining it. Has anyone else experienced this? I've barely taken my cable with me outside the house, and I use it daily, but carefully.

I'm more worried about this looking overly teared when whoever buys my iPhone 3GS on eBay recieve it than anything. Should I try to get a warranty replacement out of caution? Abuse definitely didn't tear it, since, as I said, I'm careful with it.

2. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Some people have had issues with their cables breaking and some haven't. I'm careful with mine and have never had one break on me, and I've had several iPods dating back to the 1st gen minis (up to my current 3GS). I know others who are careful too, though, and have had them break. It seems to be a bit of a crapshoot. From what I've heard, people have had no problems getting the cables replaced either at an Apple store or through Apple via mail. It definitely wouldn't hurt to have it replaced for the sake of reselling.

3. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

Yes, i thought i was the only one with this problem, i'm on my second cable and its tearing in the exact spot that the original cable did and i handle mine with care. What gives with these cables tearing so easily?

4. hushmartin macrumors 6502

My cable was torn (not teared; sorry, grammar police) only a few months into ownership. It was no problem at all to do a warranty replacement. I did mine online, they shipped the new cable then I returned the bad one; problem solved.

Right after that I bought a sturdier (6 ft long!) cable from monoprice for around 2 bucks. I suggest you do the same.