Is anyone else's Face ID taking longer than should to unlock?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by audirs5, Nov 3, 2017.

1. audirs5 macrumors 6502

Just wondering if people are noticing this or if its just me. It's not really instant as shown.

Taking a bit longer than normal.

2. quamsi macrumors regular

I am finding the padlock animation slower than the actual unlocking. I have found that if I swipe up right as Face ID starts reading me, it will go straight to the home screen even before the padlock animation “opens”. Before I realized that, I felt it was slow. :)

3. Damstr macrumors 6502

I swipe up as soon I’m looking at the screen and it’s been super fast. Definitely no complaints coming from touchid 2.

4. Jmoc916 macrumors member

Kept trying to show my roommate how the content is hidden until it recognizes my face and the quick second the phone moves across my face it recognizes me ... no complaints here . I think if you just swipe as soon as you lift the phone it will help. Like was said, the animation probably makes it seem a little longer

5. deadworlds macrumors 65816

deadworlds

Have you tried updating to iOS 11.1. Others have posted that it solved faceID issues.

6. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

Ya it’s pretty fast. I swipe up as it’s coming out of pocket and Its already at home screen when it’s up to my face.

7. Ernst Krenek macrumors newbie

Ernst Krenek

Definitely slow here. I’ve reset and set up several times. I’m on 11.1. I have no clue as to why it it slow, and also often failing to recognise me.

8. audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine is not instant either. I grabbed my phone and swipe up and it gets jammed in the "unlocking" screen for a bit then it goes to home screen.

9. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

This.

Super fast.

10. Ezra923 macrumors regular

I forget the face id is actually working and just swipe up and it goes, i need another face to see if it’s working hahah

11. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

I would reset everything again now that your on 11.1

12. rensi macrumors newbie

13. audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

define reset? i just re did face id set up again and its still slower than advertised.

14. Ernst Krenek macrumors newbie

Ernst Krenek

I’m on 11.2 beta now and it’s snappier. Did I read somewhere that Face ID “learns from its mistakes”?

15. audirs5 thread starter macrumors 6502

it't not making mistakes, its just not snap fast as I'm being told. I guess i need to go into a store and compare, but the phone hangs in the unlocking bit. its not just swipe up and go. its swipe up and see the unlock process then go.

16. Ernst Krenek macrumors newbie

Ernst Krenek

Mine is making mistakes – or, it was; the response appears to be improving now. I haven’t had access denied for the last few attempts. That’s why I came to think of having read something about the “learning” abilities.

17. LD Curb macrumors 6502

LD Curb

It is super fast. i really don't even know it's there. The phone is very, very responsive ... instantaneous ...

18. rensi macrumors newbie

Yes it does self learn to your facial changes.

19. Ernst Krenek macrumors newbie

Ernst Krenek

My Face ID unlocking process takes a full second. If I tap the screen, press a button or raise to wake, the padlock opens after a full second, only then ready for me to swipe up. If I wake the screen and immediately swipe up, the "Face ID" processing screen is always visible for a full second.

Surely must be something askew. Hardware, software or faceware?

20. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

its only slow for people that wait for the lock to unlock. you dont have to do this. the moment the screen turns on swipe. Its just as quick as Touch ID to me.

21. Ernst Krenek, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017

Ernst Krenek macrumors newbie

Ernst Krenek

Not for me. When I lift and swipe, the Face ID process window will show for at least a second.

Maybe not the biggest of issues … it just doesn't correlate with the many reports from users enjoying very fast Face ID response.

22. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

Reset all Content and settings

23. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

That happens to me if it doesn't read my face the first time and it locks. when turn the phone away and do it again it loads on that screen for a second.
    Every first time unlock goes smooth

24. Zune55 macrumors 6502a

Zune55

I don’t even if you’re doing it right or no. Pickup iPhone swipe up don’t worry about the Face ID. It should unlock fast and you will be on home screen. If you are doing this correctly and still have a problem reset Face ID