Is anyone else's "favorite" feature...

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by cclloyd, Jul 1, 2013.

1. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

Is anyone else's "favorite" feature that there isn't a big popup in the middle of the screen when you unplug a device without ejecting it, but rather the notification?

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

No. I always eject before unplugging! :D
    I'm really enjoying tabbed Finder on a small laptop screen. Also, the Enhanced Dictation, which no longer requires an internet connection, is phenomenal.

3. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

I like how OS X Finder is getting tabs before Windows File Explorer :D

4. printz macrumors regular

Heh. I've always found Explorer much nicer to use anyway, due to the separate folder tree [note i don't have Mavericks to know how tabbed Finder works :p].

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

But yet Windows File Explorer is just better at file management then the Finder. The tabs are nice, but its not as good as the file explorer

6. kftrainer macrumors regular

kftrainer

Is there a tutorial for the enhanced dictation function since it screws up my words it seems that it doesn't notice most upper level words mostly two or three syllable words It notices most punctuation marks with no problem Help ?

7. Ddyracer, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013

Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Your taking my post too seriously. But, since you want to... I think Finder is easier but Apple hides almost everything by default. That is the main drawback. I don't have much experience with MS File Explorer so don't hate but it seems kinda, i dunno, hard to figure out? It's just messy. Can't find paths too easy, and searching is kinda meh.

Another thing i dislike, (correct me here but i think i'm right) you can't drag devices or whatever on top of say favorites. as opposed to OS X you can.

I do like the menu items in explorer they are awesome, like new command prompt here, burn to disk and such. I think Finder could use that. Still, i like Finder better, but don;t get me wrong i think both file managers are kinda crap.

8. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I have to agree with you 100% about Windows File Explorer. It's complicated. I couldn't care less that it may be a better file manager, if something's complicated it's just takes away from productivity. There are just too many little folders on the file tree. The worse part is accidentally dragging and dropping a file that accidentally gets put in one of those tiny subfolders in the tree. Near impossible to figure out in less than a minute where it went. Windows search (at least before W7) never found anything.

9. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

I am ignorant. What is a file tree?

10. HenryDJP macrumors 603

No worries, it's called a file browser tree because there are many subfolders inside of the program folder. For example you may have a folder for a specific file, click that folder to expose that file, then there are more subfolders underlying that take you to the root files. It's the same in OS X but like you mentioned Apple keeps those files hidden and for a great reason. The Windows Explorer file tree is ridiculous because it's easy to drop a file in the wrong place. Anyone here that's dealt with Windows Explorer has made this mistake at one time or another.

Here's a pic of Windows Explorer. Because you can drill down to the root files it resembles the branch of a tree. Look where I put a box around these subfiles that have very little meaning to the average end user.

Attached Files:

11. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

Yeah, there are just way too many folders in Windows. NTFS is not fun. Convoluted and bloated is the easiest way to describe it.

12. leman macrumors 604

Now if they would also remove the annoying popups when Calendar can't verify the server identity... Explanation: at work, I have to activate VPN for the WiFi to work. So each time I open my laptop, the Calendar throws 5 error popups because the connection is rerouted to the login server...

13. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

The lack of spring-loaded folder in Windows is a deal breaker for me.

14. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Agreed, I love Spring-Loaded Folders on the Mac. One of my favorite features next to Quick Look. I know people like "new features" but I think others tend to forget how full featured OS X already is. :)

15. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Path Finder is still better for me. Works like Finder + Tabs with Explorer depth + customization. They'll get Finder there eventually. One major feature each point release at a time.
    http://www.cocoatech.com/pathfinder/

16. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The only thing I like more about Explorer is the file tree but I still wouldn't give up the column browser, it's just to useful. Quicklook is something else I can't live without now and find odd that there isn't an equivalent in Windows yet. Spring-loaded folders also. That's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Now that I think about it, the more things I realize I use in Finder the less I miss Explorer from my personal Windows using days (still have to use it at work though I'm almost always in a browser there).

17. notrack macrumors 6502

I hope not. To me, pathfinder is what I don't want to see on my Mac. Too much fancy stuff. On ML Finder is indeed a bit skinny and I use Xtrafinder to get tabs.

MS file explorer is a nogo. Finder in column view is the ideal tool. Quick and easy. :)