Is anyone elses workspace getting HEATED by their monitors????

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by IC3D, Mar 9, 2008.

1. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

I swear, and Island can vouch for me as he has experienced it first hand.... My home office is EXTREMELY HOT even with the heat OFF, with 2 computers, Mac Pro Quad-Core, Dell Quad-Core, 2 30" ACD's, 1 24" 2407WFP. I have a 37G aquarium in here as well, I'm sure it adds a little to the heat of the office but still... If you put your hand even close to the 2 30's for instance you will completely and totally not be able to deny the intense HEAT!

I have to open windows to remedy this. The room is about 12' x 15' and it is this hot w/o running lights, and heat turned very low. 64 degrees, (we're in Connecticut so it's still cold out).

Just wondered if anyone else has noticed this or been effected by it...

Thank you! :)

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Yes, it will always happen. I can feel a tiny amount of heat coming off my MBP display, and my Philips LCD TV definitely heats up when on for extended time. It's not as bad as a plasma or CRT display though...

3. IC3D thread starter macrumors regular

IC3D

I figured it was inevitable that it would be. Just wondering if anyone has had a issue similar to the entire workspace being greatly heated up by their monitors, etc.

Didn't know that the LCD's are cooler than Plasma or CRT displays though. So thanks for that insight! :)

4. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I wouldn't call the heat from my 30" ACD intense but it's certainly warm. It saves on heating bills though ;)

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I don't mean to be rude, but what did you expect? :D

My office at work is always rather toasty despite only having a Mac Pro and one 30" ACD in there. The networking equipment adds to the heat, though.

At home, my home office used to be unbearable. Looking around me now I count 9 LCD screens and 5 PC's (down from 10 and 7 respectively). In the summer this room used to be like a pressure cooker. Thankfully some of the equipment is now switched off most of the time, but damn!

6. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I live in a tiny studio apartment in NYC and haven't turned on the heat in over 3 years...

Here's a list of stuff I have running:
    1 Mac Pro 3GHz (4 total cores) w/ Dell 30" monitor.
    1 PowerMac MDD dual 1.42GHz w/ Dell 24" monitor (off 98% of the time)
    1 1U 4 bay hard drive enclosure
    1 37" LCD TV

My monitors and TV don't seem to get too warm... I think the old PowerMac is what's really heating up my place. It's horrible in the summers. I end up leaving the A/C on almost 24/7.

7. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

LOL. My office at work is around 14' x 8' and contains the following equipment:

Two Windows-based servers (Quad Xeons, RAID arrays etc).
    An equipment rack containing 4 UPS, an Avaya PBX, a secondary Avaya switch, a couple of regular network switches and various patch panels etc.
    1 CRT monitor (attached to the servers via a KVM)
    Two 17" LCD screens
    1 18" LCD screen
    A 24" iMac
    3 desktop PCs
    Two printers (one large colour laser, which is networked so therefore on all the time, the other an A3 inkjet).

Oh, and me.... :p

When I first started working there, there was no air conditioning, so the temperature used to get up to ridiculous levels, even with the door & windows open...

Let me tell ya, I got a/c fitted pretty swiftly - fortunately I was able to persuade them that letting the equipment get that hot was bad for reliability... :p

8. IC3D thread starter macrumors regular

IC3D

Add a 2nd one right next to it, then put your hand in the middle. It's gonna be double as hot. But this is obvious. Yeah! I'd definately agree with the saving of the heating bills... unsure about the ELECTRIC bill though! :D

I expect a AC to be built into these mofos! :D Or a fan that pops out of the side and fans you. I'm gonna have to get a couple of those USB fans! haha

Yeah I use to have a lot of computers in the office as well, I just noticed that since I started doing bigger monitors (as the years progressed and upgrades in technology advanced) I noticed things starting to get hotter.

WOW, then yeah you're in a similar situation as me. If I brought my 42" LCD TV in here, it would be a COMPLETE sweatshop. It's nice at TIMES, it just gets CRAZY when lights are on, or say you have another person in here with say a laptop or something. Get's really hot.

Steam forms on the windows with condensation droplets going down the windows, put it that way. lol

Maybe I should invest in a humidifier? Wonder if that would help at all?.... Thoughts?

Slick move on the reliability tactic. Hey it worked right! :)

I couldn't imagine bringing anything up here more. I really noticed it after I added the 2nd 30. That's when the heat really went up. I wonder if there is some info on how HOT these buggers get after being on for an extended period of time, 10 hrs or more.

9. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

My Mac Pro and 30" Dell monitor certainly keep my study cosy, although not nearly as warm as my previous 2 Ghz PowerMac G5 did .. :cool:

10. IC3D thread starter macrumors regular

IC3D

I do remember that my PowerMac G5 Quad did run somewhat hot regardess of the cooling system.

11. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I think the trick is to get well insulated windows with double pane glass. I've never seen a drop of condensation on my windows.

One thing I want to add... There were a few really hot days where I left my A/C off and all my equipment running and they performed without a single hiccup. I was truly impressed!

12. IC3D thread starter macrumors regular

IC3D

So the condensation comes from poor insulation? Wasn't aware of that. Thanks! :)

I always leave my equipment running, I only reboot when needed. :)

I do let my monitors sleep though. heh

13. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

The double pane glass is equally, if not more, important.

Yes, same here. Both of my towers run 24/7. The old PowerMac MDD is my server.

I do the same as you, put the monitors to sleep whenever possible to try and prolong the life of the backlight and inverter board.

14. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I'm currently running triple 19" CRTs on my Power Mac G3. Getting a 21" to add to the mix. Yeah, it's hot. I can vouch for that. :)

CRTs FTW!

I had a dual 800MHz Quicksilver running with an ATI Radeon 8500, three Rage 128 Pros, and a wireless card. THAT was warm. My sister made me move it to the toyroom periodically to warm it up. My father is always remarking about how warm my room is.

I wonder why.... :cool:

15. IC3D thread starter macrumors regular

IC3D

Actually I do have double pane glass, but I leave the outer part in the open position since sometimes I like to open the windows a little to get some fresh cool air running thru here.

I use to let my screensaver go for hours on my ACD 30 when I first got it, but ever since I got my 2nd and my apple care replacement (due to dimming and image burning) on my original 30, I just let it go into sleep mode instead of staying on.

Sure it looks cool in all, but realized and wisened up, came to the conclusion that I'd rather have great looking screens when they are on rather than dull tired screens a few years down the line. :)

Yeah my fiance does the same. Always saying how warm my office is. I wish it was like this when I actually leave the home office and goto the office office. lol

I just can't imagine in summer or spring for that matter. Spring, ok, I can open up the windows for some nice breeze, but summer, oh boy that might be a little intense!

AC here I come! lol

16. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I'm strange; I don't like for it to be cold indoors but I love the cold outdoors. That's why I cling to my dinosaur of a workstation.