Is anyone getting TiPowerBook vibes from 13"nTB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Dec 9, 2016.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Completely different too of course since one is a dinosaur from a time capsule dated 2016 and the other is straight out the Foxconn gate, and maybe I'm just off my rocker this morning, but..

notably I see overlap in the clutch speaker grills in the narrow space between keyboard and edge of laptop, the trimmed bezels around the screen (for as old as that TiPB is, that's thinnovation!), the spacing between keys, maybe even to an extent the aesthetic of the hinge vs 'retro' retina MBP as one continuous piece of hinge that forms into the plastic beneath the glass bezel
    (I hope this term takes off, 'retro' rMBP since its absurd)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Apple's design has had a similar language going all the way back to the PowerBook G4, to be sure.
    But not sure that the new MBP reminds me of the PBG4 any more than any other recent Apple laptop.

Used to have one of those. It was a great machine for the time. Amazing how thin it was at the time, even with the slot-loading optical drive and big screen.

3. belvdr macrumors 603

I like the old PB G4 better. It didn't have a trackpad the size of Kansas.

4. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I think the omission of speaker grills on 13" dating back from 13" air, cMBP, and 'retro' retina 13, coupled with its comparative razor thin top lid vs the chassis,

Maybe that's what kicked it off for me on this one (in real life, tough to convey the part about top lid in a photo)

--- Post Merged, Dec 9, 2016 ---
    Yeah but that one (PB) looks like Hawaii.

5. Salaryman Ryan macrumors member

Salaryman Ryan

All good points I agree. For me the 13 inch 2016 model reminds me like a cross between the Ti Book and the 12 inch Powerbook. Ah the 12 was a glorious machine. I loved mine and regretted selling it.

6. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

even though this photo I found on google is of one beat to a pulp, it still looks beautiful :D I never owned a 12 inch PB (or any pre-Intel laptop, had a first gen core duo MacBook 13") but I was always jealous! and thats when their laptops started capturing my eye

[​IMG]

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

^^ Had one of those too. Brings back memories. Really liked that one, but it was heavier than it looks.