Is anyone getting video freezing on their new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uv23, Jul 19, 2009.

1. uv23 macrumors 6502

I have a 13" MBP with 4 gigs of ram and the OEM 500 gig drive, and have been experiencing sporadic freezing when watching videos. At first this seemed to only happen when using Front Row. When I used the google, it told me to try disabling the "put hard drive to sleep" option. I did so and the next movie I watched played with no interruptions, so I thought all was well. Unfortunately tonight I rented a movie off the iTunes movie store and it froze 5 times. Each time it comes back after 5 seconds or so, slightly skipped forward. If I rewind it, it plays through that scene fine. This is driving me batty, and I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing. Cheers.

2. uv23 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've run a bunch of maintenance already but will try that. I found some other people with 13" MBPs reporting the exact same issue on the Apple discussion forums.

3. tlauer1 macrumors newbie

I think mine is doing the same thing. I have a one of the early 15" uMBPs but the hard drive has been upgraded to the WD Scorpio Black. I have been trying to figure out whether it is the hard drive, i.e. a WD problem, or the computer, i.e. an Apple problem.

It freezes a lot when I am playing video but I can't remember if it is always during video playback. It sounds like a broken record when it freezes. Also, I don't get any warning messages when it freezes. No messages telling me to restart the computer due to some kind of failure. It just freezes and sounds like a broken record.

By the way, I also upgraded the RAM but have ruled that out as being the source of the problem.

4. uv23 thread starter macrumors 6502

In my case the video freezes and the audio goes silent for the duration. That could be a digital output thing.