Is anyone good with Numbers? Basic question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LouisvilleXV, Aug 22, 2013.

1. LouisvilleXV macrumors newbie

So I'm trying to track expenses, but Numbers doesn't space the x-axis entries (the date) like it should. It treats each date as just the next entry instead of spreading it out further if the date is farther away. i.e. if the dates are 1/1/13, 1/10,13, and 5/30/13, they are all three spread out evenly instead of the 5/30/13 mark being further away. Excel does this properly, but I can't figure out how to do it in Numbers. Help? Here's another post if that wasn't clear:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1415774

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The other thread mentions a scatter plot, and that's basically the only charting type you can do. But you can take the chart, bring it into drawing application and make your own bars.

3. RCAFBrat macrumors regular

An alternative, especially if you do not have a lot of data (ie range of dates is smallish or perhaps you can consolidate weeks or months), would be to insert a row for each date. Suggest you insert a row for each date that does not have a value and then use a series or formula to fill in the dates for each row.

Bar graphs treat each row as a category; if there is no value for a given date there will be no bar but your "timeline" would be preserved.

Downside is that each bar will be narrow if the range is large.