Is ANYONE happy with Lion OS?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by DougY, Jul 23, 2011.

1. DougY macrumors 6502

Ive been reading this forum on Lion OS, and, quite frankly, Im wondering if ANYONE is happy with it? Or is it just that contented Mac users dont post their thoughts here?
    I upgraded the day it came out, and I havent had any problems, yet.
    Its like when I purchased my first iMac.....all the complaints about yellow screens. I bought mine, never had that problem either.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Be thirsty my friends, and drink dos equis.

:D:D

2. Bensalama21 macrumors regular

3. Czahrien macrumors newbie

The ones who are happy with it are probably out enjoying it and not complaining about it :p

4. IzzyJG99 macrumors 6502

I'm happy with it. Sure there are some things in it I won't use, but last time I checked Apple didn't design just Lion for me, you know? After the initial problem of the Wi-Fi cutting out, and thanking Jesus, Muhammed, Buddha and all the other religious honchos including Zeus after I found a way to fix it.....I'm happy with Lion.

It's a dot zero release. It's going to have some bugs. I am sure there will be a healthy list of "fixes" in the 7.1 patch and possibly the 7.2 patch.

And for the record I like Launch Pad. It's a novelty, sure. But it's a nice way for people to organize their applications and that's something I like.

5. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I love it, couldn't be happier :D

The only bug I've found so far is I can't close the Tab on Safari sometime, the close button is not working somehow. I have to use the keyboard shortcut "Command + W" to close it.

Other than that, I'm very happy with Lion

6. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

I'm happy with it.

Could it be improved? Absolutely. Is it Apple's Vista? No.

7. blondepianist macrumors member

Yeah, I'm loving the little animations on everything. And Mission Control is better than Exposé + Spaces IMHO if you have a billion windows open, if just because the app icons help you tell things apart.

8. moderngamenewb macrumors 6502

Other than a couple of bugs, I love it. I like it more than Snow Leopard. Other than not being able to play a couple of power pc games, and with the exception of the decolorized icons on the sidebar of the finder windows, I'm loving it.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

Love it. Hate using other machines at work that are running Snow Leopard now.

10. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

that's what these forums are for; problem-posting to get to problem-solving. a good place to complain, whine, curse as well...:D

i am loving Lion so far, as it's changing my work process up, and that's a healthy thing to do.

it's buggy as hell, but we'll see fixes in coming updates. just like in all the previous os's...

11. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

I like it. Not that different from SL. I bought a trackpad for my iMac so I can use more gestures than I could with my MagicMouse. So far so good. A few bugs here and there, a few minor apps don't work, but that's to be expected. Much less of a hassle than with SL, which broke Firewire to my external HDs and burners.

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

That's often the case.

I upgraded my spare MBP 13" to Lion today and it runs fine. seems a little warmer, but will have to wait and see.

I did change the weird scroll option; with 4 macs I don't want to re-learn that right now.

Otherwise it runs fine. Only program that doesn't run is Quicken 2007, but that's PPC and I expected it to not work anyway.

Some of it seems a bit odd, but not really an issue.

13. Mightee macrumors member

I don't like what they did with Spaces (in fact, I really hate it) and my boot time has slowed considerably, but on the whole it's fine. It's not revolutionary or anything. But the price point reflects that much.

I love the 'New Folder with Selection' command in Finder. (Speaking of which: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1196130 ...little help?)

14. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I think most people are happy, unfortunately a lot of complainers frequent forums.

15. Aniday macrumors regular

People are more vocal with complaining than when they're happy with something.

Lion is great on my machine.

16. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I'm digging it. For $129 that they used to charge I might not love it, but for $29 it's a nice upgrade. First version of a new OS is always a bit flakey, unoptimized, and unfinished, should be great after a few updates. But I find it quite usable as is.

17. kopite19 macrumors regular

Very happy with it. Installed on Friday, wasn't happy with it on Friday (particularly didn't like MissionControl) but after using it more today and playing around with it, I find it exceptional on my 13" MBP to the point where Safari may become my number1 browser.

Some slight downsides...Boot up times are a bit slower (hopefully that's fixed soon) and the rigidity of MC is frustrating but overall it's a pleasant experience.

Worth £20? Absolutely, even if Chess isn't full screen yet :mad:

18. phassat macrumors member

I purchased it on the day it released and have found no problem either. The above comment might be true, the one that were happy is having fun and enjoying Lion.

The fullscreen is indeed making the difference in browsing... I'm just enjoying being able to look at full screen and not distracted by anything when typing this.
    The 3 finger gestures for changing full screen program is great. I love to see my email and safari full screen while changing to each of them is just a swipe away.

I am too easy to get bored so changes always nice. However, Lion is not without things that I don't like such as:
    - Scrolling: but is in the process in getting used to it. I am trying to prove that apple is right by changing the direction (although I can get back to previous setting by disabling the scrolling orientation). I don't want to comment just after 2-3 days trying it....
    - Mission Control... It is nice, but I can not dissect the windows from one app only for the whole screen (so it isn't so easy to find the window that I'm working on)... or maybe I haven't found the way and didn't bother about it just yet
    - Slow boot: just this morning my boot was very slow... It was somehow faster than snow leopard yesterday... and I don't know why but I'm booting my mac only about 2 times a week and waiting for the shipment of my ssd.. so the issue should gone when my ssd installed
    - Shorter Battery Life: with my snow leopard, when I started the macbook pro (13" mid 2010 with 2 HDD), it always shows 7-8 hours and I worked on it from 8.30am up to 12.30 before lunch, leave it on, back from lunch works for other couple hours until around 3pm before I have to get my adapter. I work only on excel (around 4-10 windows normally), outlook, word, powerpoint, safari... nothing heavy....
    However, when I started my MBP now, it will says 4-5 hours only. I have not prove it but after I worked on MBP just for less than 1 hour, it would say like 2-3 hours.... So Lion might still have bug or it's not fully optimized yet.
    Hopefully a patch from apple will fix this.
    - They remove the preview button after you pressed print.... Instead now I have to choose open in pdf..... It's small thing but I like the previous method better.

I haven't bothered by anything else.... Overall, I always happy trying something new and to say that Lion is a failed product.... I don't agree....

19. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

+1

Sure is more polished then a lot of people were speculating prior to it's release. It seems more responsive on my MacBook Pro, then the family iMac though. Both '08 models at 2.4 GHz, (granted iMac memory is 800 MHz, and MacBook Pro is 1067 MHz).

20. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I like it. A little bit buggy, but that's something Apple will fix over time, and probably sooner rather than later.

21. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

I have no problems with it. Happily chugging along. :)
    Upgraded my mbp. My mac pro is still on 10.6.8.

22. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I'm darn happy with it.

I've found plenty of posts around with people saying they're happy with it, so I'm not sure where you've been looking ;)

23. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I'm extremely happy with it. Being able to use multi touch gestures is fun :)
    There are just too many whiners, and people trying to get attention by saying it sucks like hell, and that person gets voted down like hell.

24. Tootles macrumors member

I've had some freezes that required restarts but expect that to be resolved in updates.

I'm annoyed about a couple things:
    • The apparent removal of AV Controls from Quicktime Player. I relied on the abilities to change tempo and pitch on audio files.
    • Finger gestures superseding the contextual menus. Now bringing up the contextual menu requires 2 fingers, and at an angle that's not natural for me. The one-finger contextual menu was a lot better.

I want to be happy with Lion, that's why I post when I have problems with it.