Is anyone having problems with their iPhone when it come to bars?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iboy38, Jul 15, 2009.

1. iboy38 macrumors member

iboy38

I want a new iPhone 3GS, but I been hearing from a few people online that it's not good when it comes to bars and data. They been saying that it drops from 5 bars to only 1 bar and from 3G then drops to Edge . Is this really a big problem for anyone on here? I looked at the AT&T 3g map and it tells me that their is 3G all over where I live so I shouldn't have any problems right?

2. iOrlando macrumors 68000

for the most part...no, you should be fine.

you might have some problems indoors (such as your house). For me, i have to be in a particular part of the house if i know i will have a long call, and even then, it will go out.

rarely goes to edge unless you are out of the 3G area or within a tough reception zone, like underground, etc.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I wouldn't go by what you hear online. Talk to people that live around you, but you'll probably be fine. However, it all depends on the service in your area. Mine is great, and I'm usually at 5 bars.

4. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Yup! He just won't stay away from them! I even installed iBeer hoping that he would be satisfied with that but nope, every night I have to go and drag him out of whatever bar he's crawled into.

5. iwhat??? macrumors member

Yes I have had problems with my phone ranging between 2-3 bars to zero bars and going from 3G to Edge. I have a black 3GS and also a white 3GS (both 32gb). I put them side by side in my house with no applications running and both not in a carrying case, and usually the white one has more bars. Interestingly it sometimes takes longer to load things like youtube videos on the white phone despite having more bars.

Regardless, the phone doesn't seem to drop any calls when I've used it at home. I don't check how many bars I have when I am talking though, but I imagine it still constantly changes. I would get a 3GS still if you are contemplating.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I have found that despite popular claims, whipping out an iPhone in a bar does not automatically work as a chick magnet. What a crock.

7. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I have no problem with bars .... as long as I don't drink too much or drop the phone into those BIG glasses.

8. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Just what I expected this thread would be about... :D

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is true, but it's because the 3GS reports its condition more accurately than the old phone did.

So if you had 2 phones, a 3G next to a 3GS, and they both went from 3G to EDGE and back to 3G within 30 seconds, the 3GS would tell you that honestly whereas the 3G would just keep saying "3G" up in the corner since it didn't update the status icon as often.

So this is a case of the new phone working better (it's more accurate and honest about what it's doing) but people online saying it's worse because they don't know any better.

10. iboy38 thread starter macrumors member

iboy38

Is this a software issue?

11. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Ya?

What I've noticed on my 3G (pre and post 3.0) is that my phone dips in bars and 3G-ness all the time now -- but I'm not convinced it's just reflecting reality.

It'll show edge, the internet will be slow, I'll flick Airplane mode on and off, and bang - solid 3G and internet is fast.

I hope it's just a bug in how 3.0 handles the connection .... but I really have no idea.

12. iwhat??? macrumors member

I'm not sure if this is a software issue or not, but the white phone has just 2-3 more apps than the black phone (pandora, 2 games). However these are not running when I compare the phones. Also I doubt there are any internal physical differences between the phones except for their original case colors which I imagine should not change things much.